Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering Springs question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lowering Springs question

I really want to lower my 01 SS but not really sure how much I can lower safely, the clearances are:
Front/Rear Fender to Tire : 3" but I have KDWS not KDW which I plan to put back on once these wear out, so they have a wider profile.

What I am concerned about - or not sure if I have to be is that the FLP/LTH have 4" clearance to the ground and I really don't want to bottom out over every speed bump and entrance/exit in GA.

I assume 1" since its the lowest I can find should be fine - does that equate to the lth now having only 3" or not - sorry folks I don't do this for a living and its why I am asking. If not, since I have 3" clearance on the front and back, can I drop it 1.5-2" safely without worrying about tire rub hitting potholes/bumps?

Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Greetings. Bunch of angled driveways and speed bumps in Atlanta; they can be a real headache for our cars. I'm currently at stock ride height and have issues with headers rubbing in the parking garage at our office.

Like yourself, I finally decided that it's time to lower the car and it sounds like we have similar criteria to consider.

The BMR and Strano kits advertise a 1.2" drop and are generally regarded as two of the better options for a modest drop and better handling. Have you upgraded the shocks yet? Either of those sets would be tough on the stock DeCarbons. An upgrade to Konis would be ideal however many have success mating either to SLP Bilsteins (that's the route I'm going).

In short, if you drop with the springs, you will have less LT header clearance. I'd make sure you've done everything you can to ensure they're tucked in as optimally as possible and then just avoid places that are known to be problematic.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vengeance has two kits for BMR I like- one with and one without replacement shocks. Although the install difference is $500 Not sure if I can get the shocks replaced (same ones) just cheaper separately. It has 89k miles on them anyway and probably a good time to replace anyway.
Only thing scares me is the last time I had a "other" place touch my car it ended up at Vengeance anyway fixing what the other place did costing me double. uuuuggggghhhh....
Guess I'll save up a little more and try to sell the other parts a little harder.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Kick,

Why can't you do the springs/shocks yourself? The rears are super easy and the fronts aren't that difficult. LS1howto dot com has a write up that is straight forward. I'm sure someone around hotlanta can help you out.

Note: I've done this job a few times now on my friends and my car. The rears are SUPER easy and the fronts are not that bad. Just rent a spring compressor from your favorite auto parts store, and compress 5 coils (not 3 like the how-to states). If you decide to tackle this, we're here to help.

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs question