Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

71 chevelle convertible ls1 ride height

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 71 chevelle convertible ls1 ride height

I am new to this forum, and starting my first Chevrolet project. the questions are about ride height and figured a lot of you folks have done the homework trial by error for me! ha! Anyway I'm looking to get low,level, and driveable without these suspension companies selling me on "the kitchen sink" I've been a mustang builder for years so I'm hoping to get some feedback on the best bang for the buck for the a body with a ls1. like to drop it about 2" in front and end up with the rear level to that. can ya help a brother out? thanks in advance...Danny
Old 05-14-2013, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Do a search on threads made by JasonWW. I'm not sure how good of an idea all of his mods are or not, but he's like done a lot of stuff to lower the car and deal with all the troubles along the way of lowering 2 inches plus.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:59 PM

Thanks will do!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I used CPP 2 and 3 inch lowering springs and some new shocks when I first dropped my car. Seemed to ride and drive just fine and was pretty cheap, maybe $300 or so give or take. Some people just cut the coils they already have.
There are other ways to lower a car, but bang for buck is not a very appropriate description for some of them.
Might get more info in the conversions and hybrids section (I think the vast majority of ls1tech is f-body centric) and chevelles.com.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Front end should be relatively straight-forward: get a set of quality tubular lower control arms (I got Global West) and a pair of adjustable coil-over shocks. QA1 has a good selection for muscle cars. You might also want to look into lowered spindles. Several companies sell 2" lowered spindles for GM A bodies.

Rear suspension should be easier for you than it was for me, since you have a coil spring set up. Lowering springs, or perhaps adjustable coil-over shock might be all you need. As the others have said, shop and research before you jump.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

I'm doing a 70 Lemans which is the same a-body suspension. there are 100 different routes you can go. call sc&c they know their sh*t.

Quick Reply: 71 chevelle convertible ls1 ride height