Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cutting my Shocks shaft to remove mounts. Will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Cutting my Shocks shaft to remove mounts. Will this work?

I can't get the bolts off my strut mounts. Is there any way of getting everything apart without removing the nut? I'm trying to add my new springs and shocks. I was thinking of sawing off the shocks shaft.
I am aware of the tension that will be released when it gets loose, so I'll be careful with that.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have spring compressors on the springs? If not, you're fighting all of that pressure. You're going to need them regardless of what you do, so go out and get a set.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

Yes you can cut it but you need a spring compressor. I had to cut mine because the nut was rusted all to hell.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The nut is probably way softer than the shock shaft, just use a chisel or drill to split the nut in half. It's what I've done and was quick and easy. But please use a spring compressor.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:22 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what I had to do to get my stock DeCarbons off my Formula. Personally if I had to do it again I would just replace the strut mounts, too.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried getting the mounts off when i was working one day ended up just getting new mounts and rebuilding the new struts was way worth the $15 per mount i spent.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by BirdsOfAFeather
I can't get the bolts off my strut mounts. Is there any way of getting everything apart without removing the nut? I'm trying to add my new springs and shocks. I was thinking of sawing off the shocks shaft.
I am aware of the tension that will be released when it gets loose, so I'll be careful with that.
If you compress them as much as possible, you can just get your blade in there and cut the threaded shaft just below the strut mount. That's how I did mine with a saws all and it took me 30 seconds to cut through it. You can then tap the nut and threaded shaft back and forth and re-use the strut mount. Personally I used new ones since I was already there. No need to cut through the polished shock shaft.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
If you compress them as much as possible, you can just get your blade in there and cut the threaded shaft just below the strut mount. That's how I did mine with a saws all and it took me 30 seconds to cut through it. You can then tap the nut and threaded shaft back and forth and re-use the strut mount. Personally I used new ones since I was already there. No need to cut through the polished shock shaft.
I can't compress it anymore...I'm to weak. I still have 6" to go befor I max out both compressors...seems like it's good enough.
So it's not OK to cut through the polished shaft? If it is and I cut it..will everything just slide off and loosen, how will that work?
Appreciate every ones help.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by BirdsOfAFeather
I can't compress it anymore...I'm to weak. I still have 6" to go befor I max out both compressors...seems like it's good enough.
So it's not OK to cut through the polished shaft? If it is and I cut it..will everything just slide off and loosen, how will that work?
Appreciate every ones help.
If that's the case, then you might need to get some help. The reason why I say this is because when I cut the threaded shaft on mine, I still had a slight bit of force from the spring and after I cut through - the top half popped off.

If it is indeed compressed far enough, then just wedge a saws all blade between the bottom of the strut mount and the plastic piece that sits over the shock.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
If that's the case, then you might need to get some help. The reason why I say this is because when I cut the threaded shaft on mine, I still had a slight bit of force from the spring and after I cut through - the top half popped off.

If it is indeed compressed far enough, then just wedge a saws all blade between the bottom of the strut mount and the plastic piece that sits over the shock.

OK, this is where I'm at. FTR, anyone who thinks it's worth a shot cutting the shaft, it's not!

I'll just go for the nut.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

This is the tool you need for seized nuts

Bought one of those after attempting to remove a frozen ball joint nut with a sawzall. Hardened shafts do not cut well

Quick Reply: Cutting my Shocks shaft to remove mounts. Will this work?