Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake fittings

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default brake fittings

So I was trying to install new braided flex lines on my camaro this weekend. I was able to do half of them.
I could not get the fitting that goes from the hard line to the flex line loose for the other half.
I was using a 12 mm flare wrench, and a ton of PB blaster. I let the PB blaster soak while I did sway bars.

Any other product that might be better? Or tips?

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am having trouble getting the three way fitting loose on the over the axle line on my RS -- going to have to soak it again -- worried I might strip the nut though.

Here's the best product, NO IT IS NOT PB Blaster, at least according to their tests!:
http://www.zzperformance.com/blog/pe...ls-compared-2/

"Penetrating Oils Compared

Machinist’s Workshop magazine actually tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a “scientifically rusted” environment.

Penetrating oil ….. Average load

None ………………… 516 pounds

WD-40 ……………… 238 pounds

PB Blaster …………..214 pounds

Liquid Wrench …… 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ………… 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix… 53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a “home brew” mix of 50 – 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Note the “home brew” was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now
use it with equally good results. Note also that “Liquid Wrench” is about as good as “Kroil” for about 20% of the price."
Old 05-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I found that article! I think I might try that ATF-Acetone mix. And if that doesn't work.....

Quick Reply: brake fittings