Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

different tire width and handling

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default different tire width and handling

Let's say a car had 275s in the front and 305s in the rear or a similar setup. How exactly does this affect the car handling wise; all other conditions equal? I know it won't handle as well as a car with the larger tire all around, but what can be expected from this combo?

Unless I'm missing something completely and I could run a 18x10 rim in the front and rear and 295s or 305s all around...

ps: I know I can run the rim, it's just the larger then 275 tire on an 18 that causes problems in the front, right?
Old 04-26-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People run 17x11 with 315s up front. It can be done. The one problem with this setup is there is a "nub" on the spindle that needs to be ground down, and you have to run up to a quarter inch spacer up front (assuming 56mm offset wheels. I don't think people use the 38mm offset cause it's too far out)

As for how running larger rears will affect handling, you're basically increasing rear grip, so you should push the handling further towards a tendency to understeer. If the car tends to oversteer, it should push closer to neutral (or even slight understeer). If the car tends to understeer, it's only going to make it do so more. There may be some other subtle affects on handling. In general, you're probably increasing the rear track width as well by .5-1.0 inches (or more with 315s). This will decrease the tendency to roll a bit, but not by much.

Other than that, maybe some AutoXers that have run this sort of setup can offer some more direct insight from experience.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm runnig 275 front and 295 rear BFG KDs and the car does feel more wanderey on the straights, you really have to pay attention on rough, crowned country roads. But it sets up much nicer in the turns, and I normally don't drift the rear coming out of 3rd gear turns like I used to--meaning I have yet to reach the limits of my new wheel and tire setup. The KDs GRIP hard.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by APeteSS
I'm runnig 275 front and 295 rear BFG KDs and the car does feel more wanderey on the straights, you really have to pay attention on rough, crowned country roads. The KDs GRIP hard.
I'm looking at getting BFG g-Force T/A (275's all around) and was wondering how you find them for wet traction. Undriveable / Not bad / OK? I wouldn't try driving them in the winter, but sometimes it rains where I live
Old 04-26-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wider tires do have a tendancy to wander more on uneven roads, that I know.

I know 17x11s can be run up front with 315s, but I didn't think the larger diameter (18") could accomodate anything larger then 275/285 without running into rubbing issues. If all it rubs is the spindle and it can be ground down, then that's not too bad.

Thanks jR.

Quick Reply: different tire width and handling