Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Setting up for AutoX and track days?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Setting up for AutoX and track days?

I run my car pretty hard on the street. I'm sure I'll run it even harder AutoX (whenever my schedule finally let's me go to one), and I don't even want to think about what a track day at a road course may be like (and I won't until after the fact and I've toasted something). So...

Prepping the car to better handle such rigorous driving. IE, oil cooler, power steering cooler, improved engine cooler, brake cooling, dif cooling. What's available, what do I need, what's a waste of money?

Oil cooler, I've read a couple threads here regarding that. I've gotten a general idea that they are very useful, but there's no readily available kits. That one I can search and find what was already written (the thread from mitchntx immediately comes to mind)

What about power steering cooler though? Necessary or useful? Anything readily available?

Improved engine cooling? With a mostly stock engine, is the stock radiator adequate even under hard driving or not? What about moderately increased power? I'm aware of the products available for replacement radiators, just wondering if and when I would really need one.

Brakes. I've seen a brake duct cooling kit for the front brakes. Seems like a potentially useful mod, especially under hard driving conditions. I've even thought about the possibility of using a water injection system to mist the brakes for even more cooling. Seems potentially useful even with upgraded or aftermarket braking systems as well. Thoughts or comments?

Differential cooling? Anything available for this? Is it even necessary?
Old 04-26-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you go jumping into the mod arena, start driving in these events first. Once you do an autocross, you may become addicted. If so, you won't want to modify your way out of a competitive class. It looks like you've got a good start for auto-x with your shocks and sway bar. A $15 rule book is a small, worthwhile investment before you fork over hundreds or thousands of dollars.

You're not going to break anything doing a bunch of autocrosses or even a few track days. I enjoy track days, but the cost (and potential cost if you really blow it) makes it something I don't want to cater the car toward vs. autocross.

My 2 cents and what I wish I knew before I started.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Ya auto x is a blast and you most likely wont be able to stop. Like the above post said I would just go and do it. Its not murder on your car. My car dose get pretty hot when I race but not to the point where I need to upgrade anything. I just watch the temp and if gets to hot park it for 30min with hood up. Also my power steering overflows every time I race. It not really hurting anything. I have looked at put a cooler on it. There is nothing made just for are cars so you have to buy a generic one and make it work. Not really hard at all. But you don't really even need one I just keep a bottle of PS fluid with me and fill it when needed.

Adam
Old 04-26-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SS and WS6 cars come with a PS cooler. It goes in-line with the upper radiator hose. Works very effectively with Redline PS fluid.

I saw good results with Water Wetter. But in New Hampshire, that might not be a good idea. Too cold in the winter ...
Old 05-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mitchntx
SS and WS6 cars come with a PS cooler. It goes in-line with the upper radiator hose. Works very effectively with Redline PS fluid.
Is this still available from GM, and can it be fitted to any F-body?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure. You need the PS lines from the rack to the cooler and from the cooler to reservoir.

Also, there are specific radiator hoses that fit on either end of the cooler. The whole unit replaces your upper radiator hose. There are also some clips that attach the cooler to the fan shroud. I don't have them, but it's probably a good idea ...
Old 05-06-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Try autoXing first, before you do anything. Itll get your feet wet. Some of the things you mentioned above would be things to do if you plan on road racing your car a lot and very hard. I cannot give much insight on that, but for AutoX I can help

AutoX: Its a blast. Ok for keeping things cool, I have a 160 thermo and fans set at like 172. I AutoX in florida, in the middle of summer. In between runs, while I am in line waiting, etc, my temp stays PERFECT. Ive never had a problem with PS, not that I know of anyways.

As for brakes, just a nice set of rotors and pads. I dont think brake duct cooling will be very beneficial unless the autoXs are big or unless you plan on road racing.

Look at my suspension mods. Im not saying BMR is the way to go, but I love my setup. I wish I had subframe connectors though, I feel they would help in AutoX.
I didnt notice the engine strut bar listed as one of ur mods in ur signature. (whatever the f*ck its called engine bay bar...?). That should be one of your first mods, itll help tighten up the car.

AutoX vs. Road Racing. I am going to try and make the transition, but the track weekends can be expensive for our cars. tires, brakes, running the car really hard for longer periods of time...

Hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Sure. You need the PS lines from the rack to the cooler and from the cooler to reservoir.

Also, there are specific radiator hoses that fit on either end of the cooler. The whole unit replaces your upper radiator hose. There are also some clips that attach the cooler to the fan shroud. I don't have them, but it's probably a good idea ...
Thanks, that really helps a lot!