Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lower ball joint out, removal question.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lower ball joint out, removal question.

Trying to separate the 'steering knuckle' from ball joint stud. First question is if the steering knuckle is the part that the stud on the ball joint slides through? That's what I'm assuming right now. Second question is what is the best way to separate them? I've already removed the UCA bolt and pin, the bolt and pin off the tie rod end and the bolt and pin off the actual ball joint. Am I going about this right or have I already done something wrong?

Note: I read to use a pickle fork to separate but I don't own one. Any other ideas?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't use a pickle fork, you can damage stuff. There is a special tool for pressing the knuckle off the stud, or you can take two hammers/sledges and whack the knuckle around the ball joint to try and shock it loose.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I've always used a crow foot/pickle fork. That plus a 5lb mini sledge works every time. It does sometimes damage the boot if you aren't careful.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just pulled mine yesterday. Used a pickle fork and tore the boot all to hell. But I'm taking mine off to replace the ball joints, bushings, ect. If the forks on the pickle fork are really long they can contact the a-arm so be mindful of that if you go this route.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
Trying to separate the 'steering knuckle' from ball joint stud. First question is if the steering knuckle is the part that the stud on the ball joint slides through? That's what I'm assuming right now. Second question is what is the best way to separate them? I've already removed the UCA bolt and pin, the bolt and pin off the tie rod end and the bolt and pin off the actual ball joint. Am I going about this right or have I already done something wrong?

Note: I read to use a pickle fork to separate but I don't own one. Any other ideas?
Lots of PB blaster left to soak, and the a quick tap to the knuckle with a 5lb sledge where the ball joint stud goes.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two flat spots on the knuckle expressly made for hitting with a hammer/sledge. Leave the assembly together and leave the castle nut on a few threads and whack away at those flat spots. It momentarily deforms the hole allowing spring pressure to push the assembly apart, and the nut being on a few threads keeps it from jumping all the way apart. Not a big deal on these cars but with a traditional coil spring car if it jumps apart the coil spring can shoot out like a face seeking missle and kill somebody. A little antiseize on the new ball joint helps a lot next time it has to come apart.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lower ball joint out, removal question.