Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Homemade rear lca's, panhard bar, and torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Homemade rear lca's, panhard bar, and torque arm

Anyone made there own rear suspension pieces? The afco catalog has some 1" .095 wall swaged tubes for $15. Get them ordered the right length. The use there 3/4 aircraft grade rod ends. I think they are $25 a piece. I was thinking about a 1" piece of .095 tubing with rod ends for the panhard bar to. Haven't found anyone making there own stuff. use some 1/2 .095 tubing for the torque arm with 1/2 rod ends.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all the time and money put in for all the seperate pieces, you might be better off buying from founders performance. Im not sure exactly what it would take to fabricate suspension pieces or if you have the tools/equipment to pull it off, but i would just buy whats been proven to work instead.

EDIT; or buy used instead.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlow28
all the time and money put in for all the seperate pieces, you might be better off buying from founders performance. Im not sure exactly what it would take to fabricate suspension pieces or if you have the tools/equipment to pull it off, but i would just buy whats been proven to work instead.

EDIT; or buy used instead.
I agree. making your own parts is fun, challenging, and satisfying, as well as a lot of work. But when functional parts are readily available, and inexpensive, why kill yourself?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I like to make my own parts.....go for it. If your careful and know what your doin you can end up with a better piece for what you want to do.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A buddy of mine that worked on dirt track cars made mine. Aluminum hex tubing with rods ends. They have been on the car since 2005ish. So far so good.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do a lot of metal fabri-tinkering.... I enjoy it, and have made some pretty neat stuff and also saved a lot of money, and learned a lot along the way. That being said... A box of stuff from founders showed up today... I can not replicate his parts cheaper than I can buy them...

The strut tower bar took me all of 3 mins to install and 2 of those were spent getting a 15mm socket and ratchet out and putting it away after.

The rest will be installed shortly.

Quick Reply: Homemade rear lca's, panhard bar, and torque arm