Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car sits lower on one side.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Car sits lower on one side.

Ok in all honesty I thought the panhard bar not only centered the rearend but lifted it side to side. Well after trying to level the back of the car I realize that's not the case. Now my question. What would cause the passenger side to be say 6.5 inches from the quarter panel lip to the highest part of the rim. And on the driver side be say 6.2 inches. Then if I go to the front the passenger side will be say 5.5 inches and the driver side be 5.7 inches. The front I actually meant to set up this way to make up for my weight. What I don't understand is why the back isn't equal? The only thing I can come up with is that since the rears are cut stock springs that somehow one is weaker but the exact same amount was taken from both? Any body got any ideas?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, my money is on one spring weaker than another -- if you ever had one shock weaker than the other -- that could cause more wear on a spring...

It is also possible one spring was not cut evenly to match the other side.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd first look to see if the both pigtail ends of the rear springs are indexed the same, if so then try swapping the L & R rear springs. That'll tell you if it's the springs or not.
Other possibilities could be unevenly tightened sway-bar end links, worn/damaged upper rear spring isolator, or just the chassis like quite a few other f-body cars the sit low on the passenger side rear.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oddly... none of the above ever fixed my car's problem. i also was never successful in trying to force both sides to be even using spring rubber. it only went away after my Ford 9" install, and i used the exact same springs, exact same shocks, exact same LCAs, etc., and i had stock springs, Strano springs, Eibach ProKit springs and SLP springs, ALL paired with KONIs and Bilsteins... that's 8 combos so i don't think it was springs or shocks. now i am on SLP and Bilsteins.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Somebody09
oddly... none of the above ever fixed my car's problem. i also was never successful in trying to force both sides to be even using spring rubber. it only went away after my Ford 9" install, and i used the exact same springs, exact same shocks, exact same LCAs, etc., and i had stock springs, Strano springs, Eibach ProKit springs and SLP springs, ALL paired with KONIs and Bilsteins... that's 8 combos so i don't think it was springs or shocks. now i am on SLP and Bilsteins.
Well I do know that the passenger side spring seat is angled back slightly compared to the drivers side(at least on my car). I've brought this up numerous time before in many identical threads before. BTW, my car was lower on the passenger side with 3 different set of springs, and when I installed air bags I had to put more air into the passenger side for the car to set level(L to R). Since I just recently installed my ford 9" mine sit level now also. Another possible factor could be a bent/crooked rear sway bar .
Old 07-10-2013, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

I've got a MWC 9" but my passenger side is actually higher. Its got a set of Bilsteins on it with less than 3k miles. I'm hoping my springs are the problem since I'm going adjustable anyway. In the mean time I'll check to see if they're sitting on the perch the same. I've done the hose mod along with the cut springs and thinking about it my top sway bar bushings are gone for some reason. I'm assuming 6k launches busted them. I wouldn't think since they're gone on both sides it would be my problem though. I've got a ARB waiting to go on.

Last edited by VandykeT/A; 07-10-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I'd rule out the spring seats then. Are you 100% sure that the area that your car is parked on while taking these measurements is flat and level..? It doesn't take much of a angle to throw off the ride height from side to side.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

I can't guarantee it, no. I mean it looks level and its a paved store parking lot (my driveway is basically in a gas station parking lot). I have it sitting on 4 fox body mustang wheels so I can get underneath it ( planned on checking pinion angle). That could be the problem.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:54 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My damn car is all of a sudden lower on the passengers side. Same parts as I've had the past 11 years.
But we did install new sway bar end links, that's it.

It's weird. I can't see just one spring just all of sudden dropping 1/2"......

Old 07-12-2013, 04:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Normal for the right side to sit slightly lower than the left. GM designed it that way, see also the guy who had like 8 different setups and 4 sets of springs. Car always has to have a driver in it so there is a stagger to account for that.

Change of bar or links can cause a height change if an endlink is too tight, causing some pre-load, fwiw.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Normal for the right side to sit slightly lower than the left. GM designed it that way, see also the guy who had like 8 different setups and 4 sets of springs. Car always has to have a driver in it so there is a stagger to account for that.

Change of bar or links can cause a height change if an endlink is too tight, causing some pre-load, fwiw.
I'll have to check my rear end links. Because my car has always been perfectly even for 11 yrs. Now, all of a sudden it's 1/2" lower on the left. So noticeable.....

Old 06-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone come up with an answer to this problem? Mine sits almost an inch and a half lower on the right side. All stock suspension and 62k miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car sits lower on one side.