Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni STR.T FINALLY available for 93-02 f-bodies?! (well, almost...)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 02:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

It's 3:47 pm. You best not wait. I have ONE PAIR of fronts left. ONE, then they're out too (but more are in transit to the US). In fact if anyone wants them, pick up the phone, *now*, or in line you go.

Fronts will arrive sooner than the rears, and we can backorder rears to insure quickest delivery possible if you like.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I went ahead and ordered mine
Old 11-12-2013, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Ordered some as well mine should be in Thursday
Old 11-24-2013, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe I read that wrong Sam, you won't get more rears until 2014? I was going to ask about comparing the rear Sport koni vs the street but I guess that doesn't matter now, if I can't buy the street ones. I wont be changing the front shocks just yet, so if having non-adjustable rears is a better value then I would have went with those...

Last edited by 00firebird; 11-24-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

That's right... STR.T fronts are in transit, rears have an ETA of February. I have Sports in stock. What some guys are doing is going for the 3rd gen Sport rears because they aren't a lot more than STR.T's (about $60 for the set) with the STR.T fronts which are a LOT less than the Sport fronts.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

At $325 for a single front sport shock these STR.T fronts are a no-brainer. comparing $200 to $650 for a pair is silly.
I did end up getting a set of the rear sport shocks for under $300, so those will likely be paired with the STR.T fronts like you mentioned.
Would have gone STR.T all around but I had no choice when this happened and I needed to get new shocks immediately.
Koni STR.T FINALLY available for 93-02 f-bodies?! (well, almost...)-2ehqvqt.jpg

To be fair these are 14 year old take off SLP Bilstein/Eibachs from a 99 SS.
The car is going to feel like a dream now, as I suspect I was driving on a disconnected shock for a few months before noticing when it came time to change tires.
I chalked the rough ride up to "old & worn" shocks but it was much worse than I imagined. Looks like the bolt snapped clean off.
Are any of the undamaged corners worth keeping when they come off or are these garbage bin material? It's an original SS part so I dunno.

I have a 1LE 32'' front bar, rotojoint rear LCAs, and I still have the SLP/Eibach up front and the springs in the rear. What settings would you recommend for the Rear sport shocks?
Old 11-27-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Full Soft up to +3/8 full turn.

Most run their rear Koni SAs at full soft. That's what I'd recommend starting at, but I've seen no benefit going up any higher than +3/8 full turn on my Z28.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

i got the last front set sam had as of a few weeks ago, im going to be installing them tomorrow. anyone have the shocks paired with the sportline springs?and btw my dad was very very pleased with his service he received when buy the shocks from strano parts. i will be buy more from you in the future.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here are a few pictures of my front Str.T's I got from strano the other day.
Attached Thumbnails Koni STR.T FINALLY available for 93-02 f-bodies?! (well, almost...)-image-4071584781.jpg   Koni STR.T FINALLY available for 93-02 f-bodies?! (well, almost...)-image-2422676423.jpg  
Old 12-30-2013, 02:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 00firebird
At $325 for a single front sport shock these STR.T fronts are a no-brainer. comparing $200 to $650 for a pair is silly.
I did end up getting a set of the rear sport shocks for under $300, so those will likely be paired with the STR.T fronts like you mentioned.
Would have gone STR.T all around but I had no choice when this happened and I needed to get new shocks immediately.
This is what I'm doing as well. I got the rear SA shocks only because my rear end slams into the bumpstops, so hopefully the firmer SA helps prevent this. I'm running 100k mile Decarbon shocks and still think they work fine for everyday driving, but $200/pair for STR.T fronts seem like a great idea.

Let us know how you like the STR.T front and SA rear combo.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

So any update on when these will be back in stock? Still February for the rears I'm assuming and what about the fronts?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
So any update on when these will be back in stock? Still February for the rears I'm assuming and what about the fronts?
I just placed my order and was told only a few fronts are left.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by _JB_
I just placed my order and was told only a few fronts are left.
Oh crap I thought he was all out of fronts all ready. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is what I'm doing as well. I got the rear SA shocks only because my rear end slams into the bumpstops, so hopefully the firmer SA helps prevent this. I'm running 100k mile Decarbon shocks and still think they work fine for everyday driving, but $200/pair for STR.T fronts seem like a great idea.

Let us know how you like the STR.T front and SA rear combo.
The Koni SAs have the ability to be stiffer in rebound, compression dampening (like hitting the bumpstops) is likely very similar, and isn't adjustable. I'd suggest removing any bumpstop spacers, if you have a set on your car. Suspension compression travel and spring rate is where you need to be focusing on when you're having issues with slamming into the bumpstops.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

100k mile Decarbons? Ouch. If you think they still work OK you've clearly never had a set of decent shocks on there
Old 12-31-2013, 03:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
The Koni SAs have the ability to be stiffer in rebound, compression dampening (like hitting the bumpstops) is likely very similar, and isn't adjustable. I'd suggest removing any bumpstop spacers, if you have a set on your car. Suspension compression travel and spring rate is where you need to be focusing on when you're having issues with slamming into the bumpstops.
I thought the SAs adjusted both the rebound and compression at the same time, while DAs allowed individual adjustment? Either way I'm sure the SAs will help prevent hitting the bumpstops and I dont want to wait until 2/2014 for rear STR.Ts. Plus there's no way I'm paying $700 for rear shocks on a car that maybe sees 1000 miles a year.

I am running the stock bumpstops without the spacer. The only time the rear hits is when both tires get jolted at the same time, or due to dips in the road. So far there is no damage or paint missing, and its been this way since 2007 and maybe 40k miles. It doesn't sound good though lol.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
100k mile Decarbons? Ouch. If you think they still work OK you've clearly never had a set of decent shocks on there
That's 100k mile Decarbons lowered on Strano springs lol. The car doesn't bounce and feels no different than stock springs. Honesty if it was't for this thread and rear issue I probably wouldn't be replacing them.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I thought the SAs adjusted both the rebound and compression at the same time, while DAs allowed individual adjustment? Either way I'm sure the SAs will help prevent hitting the bumpstops and I dont want to wait until 2/2014 for rear STR.Ts. Plus there's no way I'm paying $700 for rear shocks on a car that maybe sees 1000 miles a year.

I am running the stock bumpstops without the spacer. The only time the rear hits is when both tires get jolted at the same time, or due to dips in the road. So far there is no damage or paint missing, and its been this way since 2007 and maybe 40k miles. It doesn't sound good though lol.
You'll still hit the bumpstops, but the SAs will do a better job controlling the release of energy when the springs rebound after the impact. So on stretches of bad roads you'll should notice an improvement in ride quality. My only other suggestions are to make sure the rear tire pressure isn't to high (30psi is good) and reinstall the upper rear spring isolators, if you have then removed, and last but not least slow down, if you know the road your on has some bad spots that really test your bumpstops.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
if you think thats bad, I still have the stock front decarbons at 203k, I swapped in some 50-60 dollar monroe max air's in the back because it was cheap and easy and it's night and day difference between front and back. but then again my factory front springs have sagged so much it looks like the front is lowered on strano's. I really need to replace it all but stranos and shocks are just to much right now (till tax time anyway).
Old 01-01-2014, 03:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
You'll still hit the bumpstops, but the SAs will do a better job controlling the release of energy when the springs rebound after the impact. So on stretches of bad roads you'll should notice an improvement in ride quality. My only other suggestions are to make sure the rear tire pressure isn't to high (30psi is good) and reinstall the upper rear spring isolators, if you have then removed, and last but not least slow down, if you know the road your on has some bad spots that really test your bumpstops.
Thanks for the help. I can't remember if the isolators are installed or not, guess I'll find out when I swap the shocks. I was looking at shorter bumpstops as well but never got around to purchasing any. I do run the tires at 30psi and also avoid roads that I have issues on, plus my daily commute doesn't involve the bad road anymore.

Quick Reply: Koni STR.T FINALLY available for 93-02 f-bodies?! (well, almost...)