Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes spongy

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes spongy

I have 2001 ss which has a 4 channel abs system. I recently put another 10 bolt in with 3.90 gears I let the lines hang loose over night needless to say the fluid leaked out so I filled it up and bled the lines. Pedal almost goes to the floor is there a bleed sequence? I hope I don't have to actuate the abs block cause its now inoperative. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kenny
Old 07-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Teching In

You may need to use a scanner to bleed them . If you are in detroit area i can help you with that if not keep trying or find someone with a scanner .
Old 08-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Yeah my buddy and I put the tech 2 on it, wouldn't do it because of existing codes. We cracked the lines on the abs block to bleed the block got some air out pedal feels better but not what it used to be before the new rear. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bleed left rear, right rear, left front, right front in that sequence.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you drain out all the old brake fluid first before refilling?
Old 08-14-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

If you have a little money you could get a Mityvac tool for about $40. It is a hand held vacuum pump that lets you pull brake fluid through the system and does not require any brake pumping or another person to help. You just loosen the bleeder, hook up the pump and pull new fluid through the system, keeping the reservoir full of course.

If you really want to make sure you have changed all the fluid and got all the air out you can switch to a different color fluid, like ATE Super Blue Racing DOT 4. You just keep pulling fluid until it comes out blue and you know you have new fluid and probably no air anymore.

And then if you are like me and want to change out your fluid every year or so, you switch back to amber colored fluid, either DOT 3 or DOT 4 the next time.

Just a thought.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the responses. Turns out my calipers were upside down lol big stupid mistake I felt like crap I guess tired nights lead to not paying attention. Brakes are nice and solid. Thanks again for all of your help!

Quick Reply: Brakes spongy