Notices
Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rattle after torque arm install

Old 07-24-2013, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattle after torque arm install

So technically i have two questions one being if i set the pinion angle correctly. I measured the angle at the back of the drive shaft then the angle at the bottom of the torque arm on the diff. If i read the directions correctly to get true pinion angle i take the diff side and subtract the driveshaft side and get my number. ideally for my street setup of -1* I have +1* at the shaft and -2* at the pinion so that is -1* true pinion? just wanted to make sure ive got this right. Next i drove the car home after install and had a nasty rattle once and a while at idle at a stop sign and under certain loads on accel. So i took it back to work and looked under it seeing it had put a big dent in the tunnel where it had obviously been hitting. So i dented it some more figuring i could get the rattle to go away. Took it out again couple nights ago and seemed it was better but still there then we stopped at a gas station and it got real loud! Am i getting the rattle thru the arm to tunnel most likely or am i chasing an exhaust rattle i didn't have before i installed the arm. I didn't touch the exhaust at all and i'm stumped i need to get the car back to work to double check that the arm clears the tunnel yet but does this sound normal? Seeing the car is lowered?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:21 AM

Is this a tunnel mounted arm, or crossmember mounted?

Does it have a "tinny" rattle, or does it sound more solid?
Old 07-25-2013, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

trans mounted torque arm and the sound is more solid not tin like. Sounds like its right behind the seat where i found it hitting before. But like i said i haven't gotten it back to work yet on the rack to see if it still is hitting but its a pretty solid sound
Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LILWS6 View Post
trans mounted torque arm and the sound is more solid not tin like. Sounds like its right behind the seat where i found it hitting before. But like i said i haven't gotten it back to work yet on the rack to see if it still is hitting but its a pretty solid sound
I have a 2000 camaro and at cruising speed i get a similar rattle that you described. Did you end up resolving the issue?

I have a BMR adjustable torque arm, UMI panhard bar, boxed lower control arms, subframe connectors, BMR trans crosmember and a girdle.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you still on the stock rear? I have had issues with the torque arm contacting the body, but I have an S60. I have that same vibration as I haven't made enough clearance underneath yet. Tracking vibrations on these cars is definitely a real pain though.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Take the drive shaft out of the equation when setting the pinion angle.
Check you angles at the trans and rear-end .
http://images.rodandcustommagazine.c...haft_tech+.jpg

I'd also check the front TA bushing and it's mount.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rattle after torque arm install

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: