Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Ultimate TA

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1998-2002-...GM-F-Body.html

Not cheap, you get what you pay for. I'm impressed
Old 08-11-2013, 06:44 AM
TECH Junkie

I think that's just a short torque arm. UMI, BMR, Spohn, etc all offer one. If you don't need to ever use your brakes HARD, then I think it can only provide benefits. That is for acceleration it provides added leverage and hits the axle down harder. So you get a lot better traction launching and corner exit.

The issue with the short torque arms is if you really get on your brakes hard, the opposite happens causing your axle to pull up and brake hop becomes much more likely. Brake hop if bad enough can damage your rear end.

For most people on street driving, you probably won't ever use your brakes this hard, so a short tq arm is probably beneficial for certain applications.

I've got an unbalanced engineering decoupled torque arm which actually decouples under braking and allows you to stop harder than a long torque arm. I'll argue that I got the ultimate TA
Old 08-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Launching!

I've read that the install and setup is a bit challenging. Might be worth it though

Last edited by 38DD2436; 08-11-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 38DD2436
I've read that the install and setup is a bit challenging. Might be worth it though
From looking at the mods in your signature mainly I would recommend against you going with a short style torque arm because they are not made for handling. The short style torque arms are very short and responsive and tend to induce wheel hop under heavy braking. Again they are definitely not made to do handling of any kind.

We worked with GM High Tech Magazine on project "STI Killer" and were able to get it to handle amazingly well with BMR Suspension components. For the torque arm we used our full length adjustable torque arm along with our torque arm relocation crossmember. This setup allows you to not only adjust the pinion angle but also the instant center of the car so you can fine tune it to get the handling and the feel you are looking for.

BMR full length adjustable torque arm (TA001)

BMR T56 torque arm relocation crossmember (TCC006)

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I think that's just a short torque arm. UMI, BMR, Spohn, etc all offer one. If you don't need to ever use your brakes HARD, then I think it can only provide benefits. That is for acceleration it provides added leverage and hits the axle down harder. So you get a lot better traction launching and corner exit.

The issue with the short torque arms is if you really get on your brakes hard, the opposite happens causing your axle to pull up and brake hop becomes much more likely. Brake hop if bad enough can damage your rear end.

For most people on street driving, you probably won't ever use your brakes this hard, so a short tq arm is probably beneficial for certain applications.

I've got an unbalanced engineering decoupled torque arm which actually decouples under braking and allows you to stop harder than a long torque arm. I'll argue that I got the ultimate TA
Bryan, I've read a few threads on the UE TA...how challenging are they to setup? And once they are dialed in...is it extacy? I autox and do lots of lapping so I'm so intrigued with the UE TA. I'm really hard on brakes but i'm more concerned with corner exits...rear wants to come out...surprise surprise...

i so want to pull the trigger on this TA...i'd like to hear your thoughts Bryan.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Well on corner exits when your torque is increasing, I def feel a lot more confident and I am not noticing my car sliding around as much these days. In past years I'd give it the gas and feel the car sliding from underneath as I'm gaining a lot of speed. Now it feels like it's biting down hard during those points. Right as I'm leaving mid corner though.. my car can still slide out from under me. That can only be fixed by driver and or other suspension setup.

I don't know if I'd say extacy. I am launching a lot better on it and feel much more confident on corner exit.

I'm only one opinion. Frrax has alot more.. there's a lot of people there who own one and have a lot of experience with it.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Well on corner exits when your torque is increasing, I def feel a lot more confident and I am not noticing my car sliding around as much these days. In past years I'd give it the gas and feel the car sliding from underneath as I'm gaining a lot of speed. Now it feels like it's biting down hard during those points. Right as I'm leaving mid corner though.. my car can still slide out from under me. That can only be fixed by driver and or other suspension setup.

I don't know if I'd say extacy. I am launching a lot better on it and feel much more confident on corner exit.

I'm only one opinion. Frrax has alot more.. there's a lot of people there who own one and have a lot of experience with it.
that's awesome...good to know. I'll check out Frrax. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

I can't say much about the braking yet because I still have to dial in some more preload. My arm was bottoming out on the safety loop under hard braking at a local autox on r-comp tires.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Launching!

that's what i understood was challenging about the setup...I emailed UE about that specifically; when your hard on the brakes, how far should the arm travel? UE said around an inch...maybe 1.5 inches. i initially asked what the zip tie was for and that was the answer i received...
Old 08-14-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't do hard core work on my car. But I decided to see how far I'd get on the UETA install. There's a little bit of drilling and lining up holes through the floor pan to get the brace installed. Some things didn't fit so perfectly, so I had to do a little improvisation. Eventually I got it done. I think that was the harder part for me personally.

Once you get it in, it appears to be common for most people to make 1-2 adjustments to the preload on the brake link. Once it's set... forget about it. It's good to go. I think I need another half inch of a spacer in my brake link and then test it out at another autox.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

So the UE De-Couple TA with a Watts link... and bam. Really awesome handling out of a live axle.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Launching!

This very well might be in my future. But I'm not "there" yet.

Quick Reply: The Ultimate TA