Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

This is what we're autocrossing these days... SCCA Solo Nationals are coming

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Default This is what we're autocrossing these days... SCCA Solo Nationals are coming

The 2001 Z28 I won a few SCCA National Championships is still around, but it's in Texas now. It'll also be @ Nationals, which is about a week and a half from now. And it's still winning National events (and hopefully another National Championship here shortly) with the current owner Dave Ogburn.

My class is brutal, probably the toughest around right now with the depth of talent in there. At least 12 different guys stand a real shot at winning. Most of the top cars are Corvette's and of those I setup pretty much all of them to one degree or another. There are a couple GT3's and a Boxster Spyder in the mix too... Also a 600hp Viper.

Anyway, I wanted to post this because I wanted to remind folks we're still out there running. I know a lot of guys here have, or know folks who have Corvettes. I also do a LOT of C5 work as well, same basic suspension.

I will be out of the shop starting next Tuesday afternoon. The shop WILL BE OPEN Monday - Thursday, but closed the two Friday's I'm gone racing. Desiree will be here to take or process online orders. You can leave me a message and I'll return it as soon as I can when I get back, but *please* give me some time because I get a lot of messages when I'm gone.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-23-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck Sam

Any chance that you might go for a 2014 Stingray in the future? I haven't been that interested in any of the latest Vettes these days, but the Stingray has me drooling
Old 08-23-2013, 12:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Never know what the future might hold. But for now I really don't have an interest in one for autocrossing for a few reasons, some are the car, some are classing issues.

As for the car. Well the C7 is acutally heavier than my Grand Sport despite all that talk of 3000 pounds it's not close and is about 100 pounds more than the GS is. Yes it makes more power and has the same basic gearing (with extra overdrives), but it's on 8.5 and 10" wheels. I have 9.5 and 12" wheels and giving up wheel size isn't particular wise when grip is at a premium. And.... I can't stand the *** end.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Come back to ESP.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

When my time in Super Stock is done, that's probably just what I'll do.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And.... I can't stand the *** end.
You're not alone there!!
Old 08-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Launching!

The 2001 Z28 I won a few SCCA National Championships is still around, but it's in Texas now. It'll also be @ Nationals, which is about a week and a half from now. And it's still winning National events (and hopefully another National Championship here shortly) with the current owner Dave Ogburn.

My class is brutal, probably the toughest around right now with the depth of talent in there. At least 12 different guys stand a real shot at winning. Most of the top cars are Corvette's and of those I setup pretty much all of them to one degree or another. There are a couple GT3's and a Boxster Spyder in the mix too... Also a 600hp Viper.

Anyway, I wanted to post this because I wanted to remind folks we're still out there running. I know a lot of guys here have, or know folks who have Corvettes. I also do a LOT of C5 work as well, same basic suspension.

I will be out of the shop starting next Tuesday afternoon. The shop WILL BE OPEN Monday - Thursday, but closed the two Friday's I'm gone racing. Desiree will be here to take or process online orders. You can leave me a message and I'll return it as soon as I can when I get back, but *please* give me some time because I get a lot of messages when I'm gone.
Cool. How do the GS lap times compare to the '01 Z28 (if they've been tested on similar tracks)?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

I was codriving a friends esp car and ended up going against madarash. Found out real quick I have many, many years of experience to catch up on.

I won't make nationals this year but planning on next year. Good luck to everyone going.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by STFU racing
I was codriving a friends esp car and ended up going against madarash. Found out real quick I have many, many years of experience to catch up on.

I won't make nationals this year but planning on next year. Good luck to everyone going.
Marks car has years and years of time and money put into it and hes a great driver.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A Super Stock car and an ESP car run just about the same times under equal conditions and equal drivers.

My former car is still running, and is still fast. This year the car that won ESP (a high boost WRX on E85, 2900 pounds, etc) ran about the same speed as what Super Stock ran. Madarash was a few thousandths back on the day 1 course, and about .6 back of that on their day 2 course (the longer one about 73 seconds).

I'm just back. I will hopefully get some video up in the next week or so.

I had a *terrible* ProSolo, Nationals went better. I ended up 3rd, but was the first Corvette. Less than .5 overall back of the winner. The winner was the same guy in the same Porsche 996 GT3 that won last year. 2nd was a 2008 Viper.. and it's got 600 hp. It was mentioned many times that of the 39 entries, there were 43 National Championships represented (not counting any ProSolo stuff, just Nationals).

My girlfriend Shelly Monfort won SSL for the 5th straight year. She also won it last year in the Z06 I traded for the GS, and 3 times before that in her Lotus Elise (she also owns a 2007 Z06 of her own). And has two championships from before, so her total is now 7 just like mine. It was close the first day when Shelly coned a run that would have had her some 1.3 up instead it was .065. Then Day 2 went better and she won by just shy of 2 full seconds.

Full results (if you care) can be found here. Super Stock and SSL are the first two pages. http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...0Nationals.pdf
Old 09-09-2013, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

Hmm, what am I missing?

'13 GS 3311 lbs
http://www.chevrolet.com/2013-corvet...imensions.html

'14 SR 3298 lbs
http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-st...imensions.html

Of course the extra cost Z51 package weight is "TBD" currently…

I love the rear of the new Vette -- it's part of the whole reason I am interested. In fact, it's the first Vette I have wanted to buy. Always been a bit partial to Stingrays, way before the '14 was previewed even.

Well the C7 is acutally heavier than my Grand Sport despite all that talk of 3000 pounds it's not close and is about 100 pounds more than the GS is. Yes it makes more power and has the same basic gearing (with extra overdrives), but it's on 8.5 and 10" wheels. I have 9.5 and 12" wheels and giving up wheel size isn't particular wise when grip is at a premium. And.... I can't stand the *** end.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but it's on 8.5 and 10" wheels. I have 9.5 and 12" wheels and giving up wheel size isn't particular wise when grip is at a premium.
Looking forward to SCCA Nats here @ Road America next week. Rooting for local guy Cliff Ebben in GT1.

Sam, you mention staggered wheels and I've always been a square (all four the same). I've knowingly chosen some drop spindles which limit fronts to 8", so I'm considering 9.5" in back for the first time. Can you shed some light on staggered fitments and why they're a good idea with all the new hp? I'm not competitive, just out for fun (LS2 in my '89), to learn, and to concentrate on unsprung weight.
Brian

Quick Reply: This is what we're autocrossing these days... SCCA Solo Nationals are coming