Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

QA1 or strange?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QA1 or strange?

Looking to get shocks for an 01 WS6 a4, definitley looking for the best drag shock here so I'm not too worried about losing some street comfort. But there are so many to choose from, single adj double adj 10-way 12-way. Car currently has eibach pro-kit springs on it. Thanks guys
Old 08-31-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If your budget will permit it go with Afco, otherwise Strange DA's.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:46 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Or Viking DA's. They have had great reviews, no complaints. 960 something for all 4, with the front's being a coil-over. All on-car adjustable.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Eric over at Midwest Chassis Performance recommended the Viking brand to me as well. I am looking to see some reviews on these hopefully as they are "newish" on the market. I'm always ready to try something out! I have friends who swear by QA1 though. The R-Series though seem to be sort of a waste IMO.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are hung on QA1 or Strange then there is no argument. Strange BY FAR.

Keep in mind there are other options out there and right now the 18 way Viking shocks are the best bang for the buck. I sell a lot of them and we have had great responses from the people that have made the switch. The fact they carry a industry best 2 year warranty and 18 position double adjustable valving makes the Viking shocks pretty hard to beat for the street/strip crowd.

Midwest Chassis is a proud dealer of Afco, Strange, and Viking shocks and we GUARANTEE the best prices. Do your shopping then give us a call and you will find that MWC has the best deals and the best service.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by therealthatguy
Looking to get shocks for an 01 WS6 a4, definitley looking for the best drag shock here so I'm not too worried about losing some street comfort. But there are so many to choose from, single adj double adj 10-way 12-way. Car currently has eibach pro-kit springs on it. Thanks guys
Out of the QA1 and Strange drag shocks I would 100% choose the Strange. It is just a much better product with better customer service.

Like other folks are saying the Viking Performance shock may be a very viable option for you and you end up getting a lot for your money with the Viking shocks. With the Viking shocks you get a set of double adjustable shock for the price of single adjustable shocks so value-wise they are very hard to beat.

We carry all of these products so if we can help you out in any way let us know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
If your budget will permit it go with Afco, otherwise Strange DA's.
^^^yep, rite on, I replaced MY QA1 with Afco and never looked back.
Johnny
Old 09-06-2013, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How bad are coilovers on the street?
Old 09-06-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It all depends on the road conditions you be driving on, the ride height you set the front to, spring rates, and shock settings.
So if you have fairly good roads, and keep any lowering to less than 1" with a 325-350 front spring rates, and dial-in the shocks for street driving then they're okay.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Strange any day.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bwilde86
I think I know what you are really asking, but just in case im wrong and you dont know... These cars have coilovers from the factory.
Thats like asking "how bad is a cam on the street"? What cam?

By "Coilovers" Im assuming you mean specifically aftermarket adjustable height coilovers. The ones in question in the thread are drag coilovers, and compared to a street/handling setup, they would be overly jarring rough, while being loose, floaty and disconnected at the same time. And then when you start working them hard they will get even more loose because they are not gas charged. They are made to transfer weight, and thats its.
Handling adjustable coilovers (like KW for example) on the other hand will be taut, firm but not jarring, while making the car feel like its glued to the road. Im willing to bet a 60ft time would be hardly effected while having infinitely better ride, control and handling.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from the QA1s. Took off the Bilsteins for the QA1a. They did dropped my 60' from 1.8s to 1.6s, hanging the left front tire a couple of inches. But I could not take the terrible ride quality on the street. The Bilsteins are back on the car. I don't need .2 in the 60' that much.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm curious why do you guys think the Afco's are better choices then Strange?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Strange shocks are just fine, but the Afco shocks have capability of finer tuning. The Strange shocks are 10 position, and the Afco shocks have like 20-48 positions depending on the shock. For the average street/strip guy the Afco, Strange, or Viking shocks will all work great, it just depends on budget and what purpose the shock is used for.

Currently the Viking shocks are the best bang for the buck, but for someone looking to get into a real affordable entry level shock then the Strange singles are the best choice for the money spent.

Midwest Chassis, Inc. is a proud direct dealer for Afco, Strange, and Viking Perfrormance and we have the GUARANTEED best prices and expert service to help you with setup and tuning.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ssvert99
The Strange shocks are just fine, but the Afco shocks have capability of finer tuning. The Strange shocks are 10 position, and the Afco shocks have like 20-48 positions depending on the shock. For the average street/strip guy the Afco, Strange, or Viking shocks will all work great, it just depends on budget and what purpose the shock is used for.

Currently the Viking shocks are the best bang for the buck, but for someone looking to get into a real affordable entry level shock then the Strange singles are the best choice for the money spent.

Midwest Chassis, Inc. is a proud direct dealer for Afco, Strange, and Viking Perfrormance and we have the GUARANTEED best prices and expert service to help you with setup and tuning.
Thanks for the break down.
I have Strange Singles on my car now and one is currently being replaces cause its busted and has the whole front end sagging. At least I hope that is all that's wrong.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

94FBIRD, do you still have your QA1 shocks? which model #? double or single adj? if you have receipt & you'll sell at a discount im interested if they fit my car. i live in minnesota and my car club got a tour of QA1 i cant believe you guys dislike them. did you call them direct and get bad service??????? should i ask them to respond on this thread? cheers. ps they are a first rate operation imo!
Old 09-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Default Coil overs on the street

Originally Posted by bwilde86
I Am running coil overs in my 67 Elco, I drive it to Reno last month from Nor Cal. It handled great, smooth ride and great handling.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
94FBIRD, do you still have your QA1 shocks? which model #? double or single adj? if you have receipt & you'll sell at a discount im interested if they fit my car. i live in minnesota and my car club got a tour of QA1 i cant believe you guys dislike them. did you call them direct and get bad service??????? should i ask them to respond on this thread? cheers. ps they are a first rate operation imo!
Sorry, sold them. They were the the F-series single adjustables on stock springs. BTW, I do still have the BMR spring cups for the stock springs still...if anyone wants to buy them.

Quick Reply: QA1 or strange?