Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Subframe connector question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 03:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Subframe connector question

So I was thinking of buying some bolt in subframes and welding later. My question is: I heard of people buying the weld in type and then using the UMI bolt kits.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A bolt-in SFC in my opinion is pretty much worthless. The flex forces applied to the chassis will for certain move the fasteners at the attaching points and make the connectors not do their job.

You also need to keep in mind what the design of the connector is and what it is supposed to do. If you look at the design of the actual "subframe" in the 4th gen cars and then compare most of the connectors that are on the market you will find that their designs bolt the connector to the outside bracket of the rear lower control arm mount, which is no where near the actual rear subframe. Then on some models you will find that the front bracket on the connector only attaches to the floor crossbrace. Again... no where near the actual front subframe. Then to make it all that much better, this design will run alongside the rocker panel pinch weld which is already the strongest point of the uni-body car.

So these so called "frame connectors" are actually doing nothing more than acting as a "jacking rail" that protects the rocker from being crushed by the inexperienced kid at the lube shop when setting the lift arms. They are not connecting the true subframes in the car and are doing nothing more than adding weight if your intention is to add chassis rigidity.

The MWC true subframe connectors do the job they are intended to and sold as. A connector is only truly effective if it is welded on and placed where it needs to be and that is how the MWC connectors are designed.

Hope this helps... feel free to give us a call if you need more info.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The nice thing about bolt in SFC's is you can always weld them at any time down the road.

A lot of customers will purchase the bolt on's and then weld them later when they can. Makes it nice for customers who can't complete the welding process right away.

If we can help anymore please ask.

Thank you,
Ryan
Old 09-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The nice thing about bolt in SFC's is you can always weld them at any time down the road.

A lot of customers will purchase the bolt on's and then weld them later when they can. Makes it nice for customers who can't complete the welding process right away.

If we can help anymore please ask.

Thank you,
Ryan
That's what I was planning on doing when a the right deal comes around.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:16 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have a welder, and I'm not going to let any shop but UMI weld on my suspension parts. As such, I'm happy with my UMI bolt-ins which I installed laying on my back in the garage While it's argued that these type of SFC's (ANY brand other than MWC it seems) are "useless," I am, at the very least, happy that I can throw a jack in the middle of the car and lift the entire side up
Old 09-15-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Midwest SFC's are the closest thing you can get to "through the floor" sfc's and not actually have to cut the floor. "Through the floor" sfc's being hands down the best way to tie the chassis together.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

FWIW, I just had Global West connectors welded on. Nice quality part and night and day difference in the car. I think if you wanted to get the bolt in connectors from UMI then weld them later you would be happy with them.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought the UMI bolt on ones so if I hated them than I could remove them or weld them in later. I used them for a while and welded them up at one point. Try them ,why not.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

I had bolt ons on ly ttop trans am. Even though I never welded them to the car I could still tell a big difference
Old 09-23-2013, 08:13 AM
FormerVendor

As Demonspeed mentioned above, we really do see a decrease in flex with the UMI version of SFC. Whether it's from lifting the car at nearly any point and having the entire side lift up, or the decrease in door fitment issues and fender wrinkling, they definitely help.

I have no doubt the MWC style works but that's the beauty of living in the USA. We can all make our own choices and for an overwhelming majority, the UMI connectors are an awesome solution.

From an engineering standpoint, I really like the fact that ours tie the front to the rear LCA mount which in turn keep the car in alignment better than without. Although there is some merit to tying the "true" subframe together, I like reinforcing the rear LCA mounts in some fashion with respect to the front of the car. Also, as we add power to these LS (or LT) powered cars, it's nice to have additional reinforcement in the LCA area.

ramey

Quick Reply: Subframe connector question