Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Heater hose mod and 315...... now rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Heater hose mod and 315...... now rubbing

Short and sweet.... Did the above mods last year and had no probs. Driving to Cruising the Coast, I hit some bumps and the passenger tire rubbed in the wheel well. Only did it when I put my 180 lb son in the back with luggage.

What can I do to prevent this??? really do not want to put the isolators back on and cannot find a how to on the jeep bump stop mod.

Please help

Thanks
Old 10-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it continue when it is unloaded? No son or luggage?(returned to normal height) Is it the inside of the fender well or the outside that its rubbing?

Any time you load that suspension (added weight, lower the car...) it is going to kick the rear out due to the PHB setup. With the little room 315's afford you, you really need to have adjustable pan hard bar to compensate and keep it centered. That is just about a must with 315's and a lowered car, if you have one make sure that is centered. IF not get one.

The jeep bump mod is easy. Get the poly jeep bumpstops and simply take a grinder and remove the lip at the mounting surface so that the bumpstop will mount flat on the car. Another option is to go to a junk yard and get a rubber 3rd gen bumpstop. Just as good and a little softer. will bolt up just like the jeep one. Will also last as long. Heck mine are from a third gen and lasted over 20 years on that car and are working fine for me now. Hope this helps
Old 10-13-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Greatwhitet/a
Does it continue when it is unloaded? No son or luggage?(returned to normal height) Is it the inside of the fender well or the outside that its rubbing?

Any time you load that suspension (added weight, lower the car...) it is going to kick the rear out due to the PHB setup. With the little room 315's afford you, you really need to have adjustable pan hard bar to compensate and keep it centered. That is just about a must with 315's and a lowered car, if you have one make sure that is centered. IF not get one.

The jeep bump mod is easy. Get the poly jeep bumpstops and simply take a grinder and remove the lip at the mounting surface so that the bumpstop will mount flat on the car. Another option is to go to a junk yard and get a rubber 3rd gen bumpstop. Just as good and a little softer. will bolt up just like the jeep one. Will also last as long. Heck mine are from a third gen and lasted over 20 years on that car and are working fine for me now. Hope this helps
just when I have the son sitting in the rear...... do you have to mod the 3rd gen bump stops or do they bolt right up easy peasy???

Thanks for the reply
Old 10-14-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Blownbayou
just when I have the son sitting in the rear...... do you have to mod the 3rd gen bump stops or do they bolt right up easy peasy???

Thanks for the reply
Im pretty sure they are a direct replacement thatll bolt right in.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

BFH mod the inner wells. Then coat them with bed liner. I run 315s no problem.

Get the jeep bump stops from Sam they fit better than factory ones.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Check out the picture. the red is what you will need to trim regardless of whether you go third gen or jeep poly. my opinion is that either will work fine and last forever the rubber will be cheaper and less harsh than the poly yet still do the job. not a big deal either way really though. the yellow i trimmed away also so the tires wouldnt catch at the suspension unloaded on a lift. hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Heater hose mod and 315......  now rubbing-bumpstop.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a picture with the jeep poly stop install with the tab cut out. Looks jagged but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Heater hose mod and 315......  now rubbing-bump.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why do you have to trim that piece???? Guess I need to see it for myself.

BFH mod..... How do you know where to whack under the fender????

Hope the stops do the trick and will not need to use the BFH

Thanks guys
Old 10-16-2013, 03:24 AM
Staging Lane

The piece must be trimmed so that the new bumpstops will lay flat. It will be very apparent and simple when you look at the new bumpstop and mount.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Changing the bump stops will not prevent the inner well from rubbing. If anything the new stops wont hit the rim once the car is jacked into the air. If you are going to get the 315's to fit you are gonna have to hammer the inner well or change your offset and roll your fenders. I run 50mm offset Zr1 wheels with 315's and had to hit the inner wells to make room. lol 315's actually fit in the front of these cars better than the rear.

Also here is a quote from frrax on fitting 315's

"Body mods...Rear

It's required that the rear fender lip be rolled. This will prevent any damage to expensive race tires. There are many ways of accomplishing this, including carefull work with a BIG hammer.

There will also be a place in the rear fender area that needs to be beat in with a BIG hammer. I've heard it's possible to damage the rear seat post area inside the car so be sure the seat is UP before using the big hammer.
Once the wheel/tire combo is in place you will see the spot. You'll also probably need to "re-adjust" the fender after the first few runs, so be sure to bring a hammer with you to the first event."
Old 10-17-2013, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

I would think if he is having rubbing issues requiring a BFH...the inner fenderwell will be nice and shiny where the tire is rubbing. Hence highlights the necessary area to be recessed with a hammer. You agree camarokid?
Old 10-17-2013, 05:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think if he is having rubbing issues requiring a BFH...the inner fenderwell will be nice and shiny where the tire is rubbing. Hence highlights the necessary area to be recessed with a hammer. You agree camarokid?
Good 'old fashion common sense right there....

....and please don't try rolling your fenders with a hammer. *insert facepalm smiley here*
Old 10-17-2013, 08:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Where to hit the hammer will be pretty obvious once you take the tire off if it has already rubbed. I would recommend you hammer it in unless you like wasting the inners of your tires on the regular?
Old 10-18-2013, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

Yep there is nothing more to be said here...
Old 10-18-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks gents...... if it does not rain, tire will be pulled and BFH to the rescue. Now I got to get him to sit behind me and get a rub pattern on the driver side

And these Sumitomos cannot wear out fast enough

Quick Reply: Heater hose mod and 315...... now rubbing