Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pad and Rotor Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pad and Rotor Recommendations

Hey guys,

I'm getting my D1SC build underway and I want to upgrade the pads and rotors (slotted).

The car is going to be primarily street driving with some track days here and there. What kind of set ups do you guys making 500+ run for the street? Anyone have any experience with stop tech and Yellowstuff kevlar pads?
Old 10-22-2013, 12:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Give me a call, we can talk about all kinds of options!!! There are, in fact, all kinds of options. Rotors are rotors in terms of stopping power. Pads, lines and fluid is where it's at for more power and better clamping force.

If you are going to track it (assuming you mean a road course and not a drag strip) then we need to look at brakes a bit more differently than street only and you might be wise to think about a bigger brake setup up front like Wilwood.

Anyway, lots of options. I have pads from EBC, Hawk, Stoptech, PowerStop, Raybestos, etc.. .Also have big brake kits like the Wilwood, Stoptech and Brembo (which I'd never do because there are far better values).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the CTS-V brake mod, made by Brembo (check out the stickies), Hawk HPS pads with R1Concepts 2010+ Camaro Rotors and SS brake lines. I use ATE Type 200 for brake fluid and clutch fluid. I am very happy with my set up for street, and for track i have OEM 2010 Camaro rotors with EBC Blue stuff pads. If i had to get new street pads i would get EBC Yellow stuff as they tend to be a little better pad all around, and the Hawk pads wear to quickly, still really good though. I live in WA so i change my brake fluid every year.

If you have the money, then the Wilwood 6 piston setup that Sam Strano suggested is much better the the CTS-V brakes, but i put mine together for less then $500 so it was a killer deal.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm personally running new stock rotors x4 with Hawk HPS in the front and OEM Brake Best ceramic in the rear (orielly). My impressions are: good initial bite, linear feel during pedal travel, the car panic stops very well, so far very quiet, rotors still look very good, and a **** ton of dust on the front wheels, like within 50 miles.

Quick Reply: Pad and Rotor Recommendations