Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front end alignment

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default front end alignment

Car is an 02 TransAm convertible. I installed a set of Bilstein shocks and springs, with a 1" - 1.2" drop. New 17 inch C5 wheels with 275/40-17 tires. Spohn strut tower brace and subframe connectors. Other than that car is stock. I noticed that after the spring install, the tierod ends have a slight downward angle, full weight on the wheels. Car is heading to the shop for a 4 wheel alignment. Any info I need to give to the tech? Is the tierod angle going to be an issue? Thanks.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What you are speaking of is the geometry change from lowering the car 1-1.2". Lowering brings the body of the car closer to the ground, and in reaction, the wheel sits a little more in the wheel well, and the tie rods are no longer strait, they will be angled slightly upward. This should not effect normal everyday driving, but if if bothers you that much:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...k_steer_clear/

Read this, enjoy!
But remember, STI Killer is a RACECAR
Old 11-01-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I was more interested if there was any additional info I should give to the tech that is doing the alignment. I explained the mods and he said it shouldnt be a problem. Will find out later today when I pick up the car.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Did you research alignment specs before dropping it off or are you just letting him align to factory spec? I think there are some good, proven setups floating around depending on how aggressive you want to get. My car needs an alignment badly, just waiting to get springs in first. Let us know how it feels.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I took it to the local Chevy/Cadillac dealer. I have had good luck with them working on my cars. A bit pricey, but good quality work. I had them align to factory specs, this is just a sunny day cruiser. Anyway, the car handles great. New C5 wheels and Nitto 275/40-17 tires and a 4 wheel alignment. Very little road noise and the heavy steering is gone, car tracks straight and true. How much of the improvement was tires over alignment I cant say, but I am happy with the results.

Quick Reply: front end alignment