Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brembo gt 322mm bbk vs. Stoptech st40 bbk

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 03:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brembo gt 322mm bbk vs. Stoptech st40 bbk

So after spending years trying to figure out the best brakes that can fit under 17 inch wheels: Tried looking at c5/c6 tried to find info on whether the c7 brakes fit ls1 spindles or c5 brackets. I tried looking at the ctsv calipers and grinding them down with 14 inch rotors and after all that I pretty much said F*ck it after doing even more research on bbk's. Seems like no matter what all oem brakes are limited and compromised in some way or another even oem brembo's. So after a long time and lots of thinking I decided I am willing to spend up to 3000$ on front brakes insane I know but, the bling factor, and the ability to run my really lightweight custom 17 x 11 zr1 style wheels all the way around with 315/35-17 rcomps etc etc. I decided I wanted absolutely 0 compromises. So if it costs me 3 grand or 2 grand for extremely nice brakes then so be it.

Looks like I'm not selling this car for a long, long, very long time anyway. May as well max it out and see what it is capable of.

So now to my question:

Lets compare the two kits

1. Brembo Gran Turismo high performance big brake kit. In a different leauge compared to most oem brembo's. Not sure how it compares to the ctsv calipers but I have a feeling these are nicer/better. Link: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/bremb...t=BigBrakeKits

2. Stoptech 332mm st40. Link: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...t=BigBrakeKits

Both are disigned for ls1 spindles. 332mm stands for 13inch rotor to fit under 17 inch wheels. I would opt for slotted rotors opposed to the drilled. Both have 4-pot calipers. Obviously Brembo 4pot vs. stoptech st40 4pot.

As far as I know Brembo kit is about 1,000$ more than stoptech. One clear advantage to brembo are the fully floating 2 piece rotors. Those are some of the best in the business.

Ok lets discuss this thing.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

For the record, I sell Brembo, StopTech and Wilwood... I sell Brembo for less than TireRack, I sell StopTech (they don't even list the kit on their site for the car), and they don't have the Wilwood option at all.

That said, if I buying I'd rule out the Brembo right away. Way too much, mostly buying a name. StopTech has the same size rotors, and a very proven setup. Wilwood is the value leader here. There are 3 Wilwood kits available for the front of the car (again all are designed for LS1 spindles/uprights, so bear this in mind).

Option 1, is a Wilwood kit that uses a 6 piston Superlite caliper with a 332mm rotor (like the others). http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=269&ModelID=7

Option 2 is the same caliper design, using a 355mm rotor (14"). I don't have that on my site because frankly it makes wheels a nightmare, but I can get it and it'd be about $1640.

Option 3 is the Wilwood Superlite 4R. This is a 4 piston caliper, uses 12.19" discs (still 2-piece), and comes with an aggressive race pad. Fit under most wheels we'd use.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=269&ModelID=7

Note that the 6 piston kits will require you to also buy the $69 brake lines separately (I have those too). The 4R kit comes with lines.

Ok, all that said.... I think you'll find that vs. $2400 or $2900, the Wilwood 6R @ less than $1600 (that's with the lines added in) is a pretty good bargain. Now, I will say that StopTech has some nice dust seals and such, but for $800 I think I'd live.

Also, note that the Wilwood options I put up are for black calipers and slotted rotors. I can also do Red calipers and/or drilled/slotted rotors if you prefer.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Brembo gt 322mm bbk vs. Stoptech st40 bbk