Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

anyone designed a top/upper motor mount(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Question anyone designed a top/upper motor mount(s)?

*flame suit on
i searched via google for anything involving an upper motor mount but did not find anything in general.

has anyone mocked up or made a custom upper motor mount?

i was pondering this for a bit. this came about one day when i noticed that when i rev or anyone else with a fbody does that the motor moves side to side. this happens cause the only mount is on the bottom by the sides of the engine to the k-member. my understanding is that any movement from the engine is basically lost hp/power transfer from the motor to the subframe to the wheels. you'd want to minimize as much drivetrain loss as possible and get it to the tires.

for example my grand prix has 2 upper motor mounts aka 'dog bone mounts' and a lower motor mount. if i rev the motor there is barely any movement at all which is from my reading, a good thing. now, i dont have or know all of the scientific know-how of factoring in the percentage of power transfer or drivetrain loss, but im just thinking out loud. unless i missed a vendor or a search for it, has anyone fabbed a top/upper motor mount(s) on the fbody?
Old 11-06-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fst100
*flame suit on
i searched via google for anything involving an upper motor mount but did not find anything in general.

has anyone mocked up or made a custom upper motor mount?

i was pondering this for a bit. this came about one day when i noticed that when i rev or anyone else with a fbody does that the motor moves side to side. this happens cause the only mount is on the bottom by the sides of the engine to the k-member. my understanding is that any movement from the engine is basically lost hp/power transfer from the motor to the subframe to the wheels. you'd want to minimize as much drivetrain loss as possible and get it to the tires.

for example my grand prix has 2 upper motor mounts aka 'dog bone mounts' and a lower motor mount. if i rev the motor there is barely any movement at all which is from my reading, a good thing. now, i dont have or know all of the scientific know-how of factoring in the percentage of power transfer or drivetrain loss, but im just thinking out loud. unless i missed a vendor or a search for it, has anyone fabbed a top/upper motor mount(s) on the fbody?
You won't see an "upper motor mounts" for our cars because you don't need them. If you want the engine to stop torquing to one side you need to buy solid motor mounts to replace the stock rubber ones.
For example:
http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=556
You may have increased vibrations with solid or poly motor mounts though. Some claim they don't, other claim they really vibrate/shake the car. Definitely depends on how choppy of a cam you have too.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i see. i forgot to mention i am running the poly mounts.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drag cars have also used a "torque strap", mounted to the frame on the drivers side of the engine compartment, and attached to one of the unused holes on the left hand cylinder head....

Quick Reply: anyone designed a top/upper motor mount(s)?