Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

quick question about suspension mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question about suspension mods

Not sure if this belongs in suspension or not but I figured I'm new enough and it's a simple enough question it ought to go here.

so doing koni's and springs on my 02 z28 and I take off the passenger front and it's all sorts of rusted. So I'll probably just buy new upper strut mounts since they're kinda old anyhow. My question is, is there any real difference between:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mo...t/model/camaro

and

Also, is it ok to just put the new spring on the bare spring perch on the shock, or do I need a new rubber isolator thing?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id go with the moog if I were you. they are cheaper in price obviously and they fit very well on my car when I replaced my strut mounts.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are a good choice, you can't really go wrong, I have used both of them before and both are great.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Also, what can I put on the nut so that it doesn't rust out so bad? Will lithium grease hold up to time and moisture, can I use some wheel bearing grease and just slather the stuff on as thick as I can?
Old 11-16-2013, 12:06 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Antiseize would be fine as well.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Also, is this what I need instead of just letting the spring ride on the bare metal of the shock perch?

Will this work for Koni's or would a factory GM unit be better/cheaper than this?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:54 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be able to reuse the stock bushings once you get the strut apart from the mount.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

I went with Moog on mine and they have been great. If you want, you can buy a new spring seat, shock mount, and isolator, then you won't have to take apart your factory shock/spring assemblies, you can get them from Rockauto for cheap. Just unbolt the old, and bolt in the new.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:56 AM
Teching In

I just bought all new replacement parts from Rock Auto which was about 15% cheaper and the same parts as the Summit ones you highlighted. I bought the Moog hat and the isolator for the shock 'cause I heard that the shock might punch through the hat without the isolator. There's another piece that looks like the isolator that I re used since it was on top of the a arm perch. I just threw away the entire old strut assembly, no need to compress the old spring to harvest the old parts.

I also replaced my upper a arms at the time too since I had the assembly out and it was easy to replace then.

Quick Reply: quick question about suspension mods