Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushing Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushing Kit

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle so help me out! I have the energy suspension POLYURETHANE kit and am in the process of installing it on my 2000 z28. However, I've seen some bad stuff/opinions about using poly in certain places on the cars suspension. So far i have only installed poly on the rear sway bar, rear end links, and torque arm. I have spherical end Spohn rear control arms and panhard bar so no bushings there. Is it a bad idea to have poly on the front control arm? How about the front sway bar?

Basically i just want to know where it would be okay to have poly, where it is not okay, and where you would never put it in a million years.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Lower front control arm in the caster bushing location, it is absolutely not a good idea. I know you have rod eneded rear control arms, but poly is poor there as well. The lack of compliance in the bushing will bind up the suspension. Manufacturers can make higher compliance poly, but it will cold flow faster, the material doesn't have the resilience that rubber has and will not return to it's original shape over time.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Lower front control arm in the caster bushing location, it is absolutely not a good idea.
So in this location would it be best to replace the old bushings with rubber bushings? if so from where/who?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by jtuck Z28
So in this location would it be best to replace the old bushings with rubber bushings? if so from where/who?
Moog is the most common choice for stock control arms. You can get press in bearing joints from Global West, and there are aftermarket arms that you can get with rod end/johnny joint type joints.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Front UCAs you can do poly.

Front LCA, camber bushing can be poly.

As mentioned, front LCA caster bushing (the vertical one) should never be poly.

Rear LCAs shouldn't be poly because they won't let the axle move around as it should. If the car was a drag car it is OK, but street not so much.

I used Moog rubber bushings on my entire front end in the stock arms.

Quick Reply: Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushing Kit