Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We haven't had any trouble with Vikings controlling 550's on our WS6, G-body Monte, or A-Body LeMans. As a matter of fact we haven't been above 14 (out of 19) on the rebound setting.

I really wish someone could produce a dyno sheet for the Koni's so I can see exactly what we're dealing with.

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
So, I was waiting for the Koni sale to come back and here it is...

But now I'm looking at the Viking full-coilover setup from either MWC or UMI with something like the 550/150 spring rate package. Going full coilover is appealing because I have total control over the suspension adjustment with full rebound and compression as well as ride height adjustability.

Pricing-wise, very close.

Performance-wise, I still don't know how Viking will do with those types of spring rates and whether the car will handle well. I know I can adjust the springs and it'll be great for straight-line performance.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Ramey, how are the Viking shocks constructed?

I know Bilstein are monotube gas and Koni are twin-tube gas. How would you classify the Viking?
Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Ramey, how are the Viking shocks constructed?

I know Bilstein are monotube gas and Koni are twin-tube gas. How would you classify the Viking?
The Vikings are twin tube with a gas bag in the outer chamber. This gas bag holds down on the oil and prevents foaming.

Koni's and Bilsteins are both monotube with a separator piston. The piston holds down on the oil and prevents foaming.

Monotubes have a larger piston than twin tubes and potentially have better feel, better heat dissipation and so on. Twin tubes work great for a majority of our applications as most customers don't run hundreds of laps at any one time. There is a lot of Koni love on here, some Bilstein love (usually when Koni's aren't in the budget) and some people love the Viking/QA1 style.

The term "gas shock" is usually reserved for a monotube but twin tubes have gas also. The gas just happens to be in a baggie. All shocks have a main piston running through oil providing drag, technical term - damping of a spring system.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Hmm. Still very tempted by Viking coilovers...

The BMR Koni package is 1159 right now with Koni SA Sports, BMR Springs, and their sway bars. vs the Viking coilovers all the way around for just a little more.

Damn lol
Old 03-08-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, if you're not wanting to lower it very much(1" or less) and decide to go with the Viking coil overs, I'd go with a softer front springs something in the range of 375-450,no need to go with 550's unless you're lowering over 1", and your deside to change your priority to handling. Another option is Bilsteins with BMR front 1" lowering A-arms and BMR rear lowering springs. Then there's Koni SA shocks with stock front springs on lower perch, and BMR rear springs.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 03-08-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I actually want it to handle decently... I can take pretty harsh springs. I actually hate a car that doesn't feel pinned down. Even if it means I'm not quite as fast in a straight line. I'm not making so much power than the suspension is the difference between a 9.2 and an 8.9 timeslip...
Old 03-08-2014, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Okay, so it sounds like you'd be happier with a set of Koni shocks over the Vikings then. In that case go with the Koni SA, with either Strano springs or BMR springs, or Koni SA shocks with stock front springs on lower perch, and BMR or Hotchkis rear springs.
This last combo will work better at the track, and still handle good.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Super Hulk Smash

That's what I'm thinking... with a 550/150 type spring combo, I just didn't know how well the Vikings would handle vs the Konis.

Plus, like I said, for the same price, the Koni/BMR combo comes with new sway bars too...
Old 03-08-2014, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Koni's and Bilsteins are both monotube with a separator piston. The piston holds down on the oil and prevents foaming.
Everything I've read state that the Koni Sport Yellow SA's and DA's are twin tube designs. That includes everyone on FRRAX, Unbalanced Engineering, Sam Strano, et al. If I google "8242 1005sp1" (a front DA) all vendors I glanced at list that part number as a twin tube. Why are you defining it differently than others, or are you referring to a different model?

Regarding your request for a shock dyno, I happen to have it for one of my pair of rear DA's I just received back from Koni warranty. It only includes the min/max on compression/rebound though. I requested the same for the front, but was told two different things by two different people as to why they couldn't; 1) The lower mount on the shock wasn't physically compatible with their dyno. 2) The max rebound on the DA was higher than their shock dyno could measure and in theory could damage their dyno.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I've always heard the Koni was Twin Tube as well... which is one reason I want it. I have had both monotubes and twins... and twins are better on the street (to me) with all the imperfections they have to deal with. They seem to react quicker.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Another option is the RideTech SA coil-overs, you could get just the front, or the front and rear coil-overs.
BTW, that pinned down feel you want is from good rebound control, not spring rate, so there's really no need to go with a 550 spring rate unless you want a firmer ride, with a mild lowering.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 03-09-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:31 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
Everything I've read state that the Koni Sport Yellow SA's and DA's are twin tube designs. That includes everyone on FRRAX, Unbalanced Engineering, Sam Strano, et al. If I google "8242 1005sp1" (a front DA) all vendors I glanced at list that part number as a twin tube. Why are you defining it differently than others, or are you referring to a different model?

Regarding your request for a shock dyno, I happen to have it for one of my pair of rear DA's I just received back from Koni warranty. It only includes the min/max on compression/rebound though. I requested the same for the front, but was told two different things by two different people as to why they couldn't; 1) The lower mount on the shock wasn't physically compatible with their dyno. 2) The max rebound on the DA was higher than their shock dyno could measure and in theory could damage their dyno.
Oops. I mis-spoke apparently on Koni's being monotube. Sorry.

Can you share the limited data they gave you?
Old 03-10-2014, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Tech
Can you share the limited data they gave you?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
Excellent. Thanks.

Looks like N and m/sec. I have some plotting to do...

Quick Reply: Suspension Options