Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes, Rotors, and Shocks on a Budget

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
I love how people hate on drilled and slotted.

I beat the hell out of mine and its taken it like a champ.
Hate is kind of a strong word. It's not a matter of hating or loving. It's knowing your equipment, and using it for it's designed purpose.

If you like the bling, I think you should use drilled rotors. Use whatever makes you happy. Dimples are a good compromise here. They have the look of drilled rotors, but are not as prone to cracks. Street cars are just not driven hard enough for the shortcomings to show up.

But if you're building a high performance braking system that is actually used to the max - as in road racing - there's no place for drilled rotors. Max braking lap after lap will cause them to fail. You'll be replacing them 2-3 times a season.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My GP has factory drilled rotors and, while I like the look, they have a low but noticeable buzzing hum which I find annoying. I'm torn on whether or not to go with blanks. The TA? not even a choice. Drilled rotors are more expensive and they crack. It had a pair when I first got the Wilwoods on the front. They lasted exactly one weekend and were trashed. The blanks I replaced them with have lasted three weekends so far, and I'll get three more with new pads and a light cut.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I ordered my Hawks HPS Pads, and I currently have it narrowed down on rotors.

1. Centric High Carbon Plain 125 (with black hat)
2. All Black Zinc Coated RPM Speed (only come drilled, slotted, or dimpled)
3. R1 Concepts Eline Series (not black)
4. Brakemotive (not black either)

I would really like the all black RPM rotors but I cannot get them blank. I want black rotors becasue of the look honestly. If anyone has had experience with any (except brakemotive I know those are good) I would like to hear about them. Thanks

Quick Reply: Brakes, Rotors, and Shocks on a Budget