Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 Conversion Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
I have set out to make my own conversion bracket, and have come to a very simple solution. So simple I don't understand what the difficulty is. What I am proposing is using a 0.25" steel plate to relocate the caliper using the fasteners for the original caliper. Thread the plate and add a jam nut to the back (or weld on). The measured difference between the C5 and F-car rotor is about 0.21" instead of 0.25" though, but the caliper floats and this isn't that much of a difference.

The steel would seem to have sufficient strength as long as the fasteners don't loosen.

Anyone see any flaws in my logic here?

Thanks,
Brian
Trying to thread a .25" piece of plate is not going to work. Your only going to get a couple of threads in the plate. With so few threads you are likely to shear off the threads.

Why even thread it if your adding a nut to the back? Thats bad design idea. Never run a bolt through two threaded connections it will cause issues with binding, etc. Of course I could just not be understanding your post.

As far as bolts loosening, that only happens when the applied torque and the resulting clamping force is not sufficient for the supplied loads (assuming the right material is being used).

Not trying to flame here, but first crunch all the numbers so you don't waste your time finding out something wont work or worse. I would be more than happy to run some stress and bolts calculations for you.

Gary
Old 07-25-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can buy solid C5 rotors from napa auto parts for 26 bucks each. they are not any thicker than the rotors on my 96 f-body. just some FYI.

Quick Reply: C5 Conversion Bracket