Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

abs removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs removal

Im currently stripping down my 04 gto to near on nothing and I want to remove the abs from the car completely as it is no longer necessary. Removing the module is easy enough but the aluminum body that distributes the braking force is pretty ugly and Id rather get rid of it, but it looks like a big job to replace it, has any one done this or am I better of leaving it as is??
Old 01-14-2014, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

just get a manual proportioning valve to take its place. I'm sure SJM sells a kit with lines. I know they do for Fbodys
Old 01-15-2014, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Pretty sure your ABS block handles the brake proportioning just like ours.

Search "abs delete" or something like that and you'll find threads on it. You will have to figure out the brake lines on your own though. Or if you have flexible output lines from the block, toss some proportioning valves wherever it all fits, then make connections to existing factory lines.

THEN you get to dial in your brakes, over and over and over and over until it stops straight and each caliper gets equal fluid pressure. This process requires locking up the brakes so you better have junk tires to eat up.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:27 AM
Staging Lane

Hmm that sounds like something I really dont want to deal with....
Old 01-16-2014, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

I deleted abs on an fbody but it shouldn't be any different. It's no big deal to set the proportioning valve for brake bias - you're simply reducing the pressure to the rear brakes and it has nothing to do with stopping straight or not.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is pretty easy. Get a proportioning valve, a couple of brake line tees, and you will need several adapters to go from the metric thread to standard thread for the tees. You might need to make some bends in the stock lines. Wilwood makes a proportioning valve that uses the metric threads.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: abs removal