Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

adjustable a-arms slipping alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default adjustable a-arms slipping alignment

I tried a search but I'm at work and it blocked me so I'm now on my phone. I am having an issue with my alignment staying in spec with adjustable upper and lower a-arms with rod ends. Its just the lower arms that seem to be the issue if I hit a large bump or brake hard they slide in the slots. The bolts are tight and one had to be replaced due to being stretched when checking its tightness. I took the car to an alignment shop had it aligned and asked for the washers to be tacked to the k-member (which is aftermarket as well) but instead in their infinate wisdom they tacked the nut to the bolt and the alignment has yet again slid out of spec. I'm gonna order new hardware and just wanted to see if anyone has had this issue. Its a street strip car so I'd like to keep these arms. Thanks
Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

The original Factory Five Racing Cobra replicas had a similar design on the front upper arms. Like you, a lot of people had trouble maintaining the alignment. The fix at the time came from a company called Whitney Motorcars. It looks like this: http://www.whitbymotorsports.com/UIn...ventoryid=1549

Here's some pictures of this part installed: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/66-2006...t-widgets.html

Obviously, you can't use the exact same part on your car. But it gives you some idea on how to build something similar.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The aftermarket crap doesn't have the notches to help maintain placement. (star shaped raised pattern on the inner bushing side to help decrease slip) After I drove mine home, I went back and tightened the **** out of them. That plus a prayer I hope will hold me over.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by .boB
The original Factory Five Racing Cobra replicas had a similar design on the front upper arms. Like you, a lot of people had trouble maintaining the alignment. The fix at the time came from a company called Whitney Motorcars. It looks like this: http://www.whitbymotorsports.com/UIn...ventoryid=1549

Here's some pictures of this part installed: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/66-2006...t-widgets.html

Obviously, you can't use the exact same part on your car. But it gives you some idea on how to build something similar.
I'm sure I can cone up with something close to that. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You really have to tighten the lower a-arm bolts really tight or they will loosen up and shift. The majority of our customers daily drive on their tubular front end setups and as long the bolts are good and tight there generally isn't an issue like you are having.

Is it just the most forward mounting point that is slipping or all of them?

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

We had problems on our cars doing the same thing, so we just used a large fender washer under the nut and once the alignment was finished we would tack weld the washer in place. It only takes about 3 tack welds. No movement and its easy to remove.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well it seems the alignment will have to wait. Got a chance to get her in the air and diagnose my clutch issue, found a cracked bell housing. I will post up when I get it straightened out. Thank you for all the replies.

Quick Reply: adjustable a-arms slipping alignment