Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel hop questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel hop questions

Hey guys I have a 02 ws6 with full bolt ons, put 340/360 to the wheels. I have sfc's, just got racing lower control arms, adjustable umi tunnel mount torque arm, panhard bar, and built 4l60e with 4k stall. And recently put a 9 inch with 3.70 gears. I have never had wheel hop before until I put in the 9 inch? My lca's were a little worn that why I replaced them. I can tell the rear doesn't twist like it was but still have pretty bad wheel hop...I just don't know what it can be so anything would be helpful...it really sucks when I try yo race or slide around corners and it starts wheel hopping like that...I have had all kinds of tires it doesn't change the hop
Old 01-22-2014, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what type of differential is in the 9 inch rear?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

I have a Detroit locker in the rear
Old 01-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

I also had stock springs and 3 year old kyb struts
Old 01-22-2014, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

ive had cars with everything from open diffs to truetracs to wavetracs to detroit lockers. detroit locker is the reason for the wheel hop. detroit lockers are very picky with differences in tire diameter & inflation differences. if both rear tires arent equal in inflation and even in tread depth/wear, you will get wheel hop on a dry or wet surface but not on snow or dirt. also, if your suspension isnt very well set up, the detroit locker exposes any weaknesses the suspension may have.

the detroit locker is a great differential and very strong but its more for drag racing on slicks where there will be minimal wheel spin or for off roading where you are driving on dirt or sand or even snow. it sucks for handling on dry and wet roads. i would say unfortunately you would be best off selling it to someone who does more drag and getting yourself a truetrac or wavetrac if they make it for that diff. if you want to keep it, it will take a lot of work to get the suspension and tires set up in a way that the wheels wont hop.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks for the response man...so what LSD would u recommend? I may just get a spool I guess...well i will try and change this out soon and let u know if that fixes the problem! Thanks a lot
Old 01-24-2014, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

well before u change the diff, just double check that everything connecting the axle to the car is tight and that the torque arm is ok. If its all good then look into the detroit trutrac if you want something reliable that will never wear out and keeping it under $500. If you want to go all out you can look at a wavetrac which is even better but its close to $900 which is overkill for most people.

Quick Reply: Wheel hop questions