Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hawk HPS v Porterfiel R4-S vs Carbotech Bobcat vs Stoptech Street

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 01:23 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

XP12/10 combo I've been in on a Vette.

That's why I was considering the XP8/AX6 for the street.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Cool. My only concern would be having a pad that gets to operating temp quicker in the rear and possible getting some axle hop but it sounds like the xp8 have plenty of cold stopping power. I might have to give carbotech a call and see what they recommend for my application.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:04 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Yeah. I have drag radials on the back on the street, so I went HPS all around. I might go DC30 in the front or AX6 down the line. I had the HPS and use them on my daily and they work fine on the street.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran HP Plus all this past weekend at Road America -- they did the job nicely with Wilwood EXP 600 Plus brake fluid -- experienced no noticeable fade. No it was not technically a race. http://roadamerica.midwestdomestics.org/
On a side note, I also ran into to Jim Fay at RA, who makes the Fays2 Watts Link.

Experimenting with different brake pads is a pricey proposition, but sometimes real experience works better than reading. I had the Porterfield R4s suggested at RA for RA use from a Z06 guy who has 20 brake pads on his car -- not sure if that's a good comparison vehicle to the 4 pads on F-bodies. Also heard good things about Raybestos ST43, reportedly very high torque and high initial bite, a little harder to modulate, rotor friendly, and non-metallic.
Also check out this sticky:
http://www.midwestdomestics.org/show...ion-amp-tuning

DTC's are metallic pads, so washing off the brake dust ASAP is important to prevent chewing up wheels.

Talked to StopTech about their Street pads and they seemed to bill them as a better option compared to like an HP Plus but also highly streetable, and not noisy like the later.

Hawk HPS v Porterfiel R4-S vs Carbotech Bobcat vs Stoptech Street-jkr56va.jpg

Hawk HPS v Porterfiel R4-S vs Carbotech Bobcat vs Stoptech Street-hv3jvw2.jpg

Hawk HPS v Porterfiel R4-S vs Carbotech Bobcat vs Stoptech Street-34u94ph.jpg

Hawk HPS v Porterfiel R4-S vs Carbotech Bobcat vs Stoptech Street-gs70sw8.jpg

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Hmm, they've changed up their pads a bit. XP12/10 is a good combo.

HP Plus are not race pads. Do not take them out on Road America. DTC70 front and DTC60 rear would be ok. I'd do them with Racing Brakes rotors (which are very expensive) but they are extremely tough rotors and work well with the DTC series from Hawk. I believe they were designed for them. If you use Carbotech pads with them, the Carbos will glaze.

Otherwise, Carbotechs are good with stock replacement type rotors like Best Brake, NAPA blanks, Raybestos blanks, etc.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 05-07-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Jake, did you ever decide on and install new pads? My situation is a bit different in that I have the C6 front brakes, using DS2500 pads. But I recently installed a rear brake proportioning valve, so I'm wondering how much better stopping power I can have, within my limits, using the bpv.

Here's a modified checklist of what I'd like, but there will be compromises:

* Noise is okay
* Dusting is okay so long as it always comes off easily regardless of how long it has been between washing
* Pad material will not embed in anything
* Good cold bite, okay if it takes 1-2 stops before it's up to temp
* Effective in the rain and snow
* Last 12-20K miles, which would be 1-1.5 years for me
* Rotors last the same period of time
* Precision brake feel and modulation
* Less bed-in required
* Low compressibility for a rock-hard brake pedal
* good fade resistance against a limited number of high speed (150'ish) stops
* shortest stopping distances & elapsed times

I had DTc-30's a few years ago and loved their stopping power, but it had these undesirable side effects...1) the 3 month rotor/pad replacement schedule 2) dusted like a MF'er and 3) dust would pit in aluminum wheels and I needed to wash them at least once a week, more so if it rained. Yes they also squealed depending upon style, but I could deal with that.

So I'm wondering about continuing to use a DS2500 in front with an AX6 in the rear. Knowing that I have the bpv, do you think I should consider an xp8/10 in the rear? I don't mind dust so long as it's always easy to remove regardless of circumstances, and I'd like to get at least a year out of the pads/rotors. I think my rear pads/rotors are probably 10 years old now, don't even remember what pad they are.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Super Hulk Smash

DS2500 is what I wish the stock PBR calipers on the F-Body had. That would be my choice hands down.

I'd do the AX6 in the rear.

I just decided to run HPS for now. It's a good street pad and isn't too harsh on rotors. It just doesn't provide much more than other street pads until you really stand on it and then it bites hard. Next go around will be AX6 all around.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AX6 are really easy on rotors and quiet...in fbodies,very good for street but not autox/lapping.

Quick Reply: Hawk HPS v Porterfiel R4-S vs Carbotech Bobcat vs Stoptech Street