Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension Bushings for 1999 SS Camaro help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Bushings for 1999 SS Camaro help

Hey ladies and germs,

Been a while since I posted but I need some guidance on my rear suspension for my 199 SS Camaro. I have been getting some squeaking for a while from the rear suspension when I go over bumbs and such. It isnt from the shocks because they were replaced 3 years back with Bilisteins and new slp springs.

Leads me to believe its my sway bars bushings, end links, and maybe the control arms? I bought aftermarket control arm bushings from energy suspension but am hesitant to put them in do to researching about the problems with Poly Urethane bushing.

So that being said my sway bars are still the stock SS factory sway bars. Anyone know what bushings I should get? Or atleast What size the sway bars are?

I eventually will be doing a couple track events here and there so I dont know if that factors into my choices or not.

Thank you ahead of time.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock SS bars are 32mm front and 19mm rear. It's best to double check just in case the previous owner didn't swap them out. I would ask Sam or at least check out his website for everything you are looking for.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As stated rear factory bar is 19mm(3/4") for that size I'd get the ES bracket/bushing kit #9.5156, this part# has grease fittings for easy bushing lubrication.

For a easy way to check the bar size use an adjustable wrench and tighten it around the bar then slid it off and measure the gap in the wrench opening.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 02-17-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have this problem with my 99 SS. I thought it was the swaybar bushings and end links so I replaced them, but I still have this problem. I put the energy suspension sway bar bushings on it that can be greased, and this made no difference. My car still has the stock lower control arms and rear shocks, but it only has 50K miles on it. The squeak is very annoying and I would love to fix it. Any suggestions? I thought about taking the bottom shock bolts out, lowering the shocks and see if the squeak goes away when I compress the suspension. Are stock lca rubber bushings prone to squeak?
Old 02-19-2014, 02:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 67SS&99SS
I also have this problem with my 99 SS. I thought it was the swaybar bushings and end links so I replaced them, but I still have this problem. I put the energy suspension sway bar bushings on it that can be greased, and this made no difference. My car still has the stock lower control arms and rear shocks, but it only has 50K miles on it. The squeak is very annoying and I would love to fix it. Any suggestions? I thought about taking the bottom shock bolts out, lowering the shocks and see if the squeak goes away when I compress the suspension. Are stock lca rubber bushings prone to squeak?
Unbolting the lower shock and removing it from the mount one side at a time will work. If it's the shock Check the upper shock mounts, the nut on the top is probably loose. Now if that's not it, it could also be where the pigtail on the rear spring contacts the spring locater on the axle tubes.

Quick Reply: Suspension Bushings for 1999 SS Camaro help