Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Releases New Product- Bolt-in Rear Coil Over Kit for the 82-02 GM F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would these rear coilovers and the front coilover be a good choice to go on a autocross car?
ive been looking at the koni double adjustable shocks, but i really like how adjustable coilovers are

Last edited by black98_ls juan; 03-07-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

im getting them for my TA which will be autoX'd ... i talked to ryan from UMI.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DirtyBirdMKE
im getting them for my TA which will be autoX'd ... i talked to ryan from UMI.
i'll probably end up getting these then, i wasnt sure if theyd work for autox seeing as how all the other rear coilover kits are made for drag cars
Old 03-09-2014, 12:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by black98_ls juan
would these rear coilovers and the front coilover be a good choice to go on a autocross car?
ive been looking at the koni double adjustable shocks, but i really like how adjustable coilovers are
Originally Posted by black98_ls juan
i'll probably end up getting these then, i wasnt sure if theyd work for autox seeing as how all the other rear coilover kits are made for drag cars
The performance of the coil over kit will depend on the shock and spring, not the fact that it is or isn't a coilover set up. We choose the Viking shock for this set up because it offers a lot of adjustment, is priced right and built in the USA. The double adjustment of the Viking you can set the shock for drag, street and autox. You can also easily swap out springs to try different rates as well. And since the kit uses a 2.5" ID spring there is virtually any height and rate available.

If you purchase just the brackets you can run any shock you want such as a Ridetech, JRi and possibly a Koni. We can give you the shock length to look for.

I hope that helps,
Old 03-10-2014, 08:39 AM
FormerVendor

Here are a few pictures to show our bolt in lower shock mount used on the coilover kit. As you can see we require one hole to be drilled with a 3/8" drill. The included spacer shown behind the bracket allows the coil over kit to be used with relocation brackets as well. The bracket shown can also be used as a shock location bracket, we will be releasing that next.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:50 AM
Staging Lane

I have a question...Im looking to purchase the front Viking coil over kit you guys offer, for my daily driver..How well would these work on the street? and if i purchase what settings will be needed for everyday street use? I currently have BMR~Bilstein set up but i like the fact i can adjust the ride height so i can have the perfect stance im looking for
Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SSHulk
I have a question...Im looking to purchase the front Viking coil over kit you guys offer, for my daily driver..How well would these work on the street? and if i purchase what settings will be needed for everyday street use? I currently have BMR~Bilstein set up but i like the fact i can adjust the ride height so i can have the perfect stance im looking for

The kit will handle great on the street. The handling will depend on the shock, not the fact that it is now a coil over. We like the Viking because of the adjustment, you can easily tune the shock for drag, street and autox. We have reviewed many other shock dyno curves and the double adjustment of the Viking allows you to set it very similar to many other brands.

We can give you baseline settings for the shocks. We have actually installed and driven on many sets of Vikings so we can offer great tuning advice.

I hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 03-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

great thanks, i just placed my order over the phone
Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Ryan and Ramey... Hats off to you guys & looks great!! Another top notch product from a top notch company!

Now if I could JUST convince you to produce a 3/8" aluminum tunnel plate for a C5 with that new nifty cutter you guys have....
Old 03-14-2014, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so here's are noob question lol. should I start with the fronts or rears first? I don't have that kinda coin to buy both at one time lol. I do a lot of street/strip driving. would I gain more from buying the fronts or rears ? im on stock springs/shocks right now.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
so here's are noob question lol. should I start with the fronts or rears first? I don't have that kinda coin to buy both at one time lol. I do a lot of street/strip driving. would I gain more from buying the fronts or rears ? im on stock springs/shocks right now.
If you can't get both I would say get the fronts first, do the heater hose in the rear and then adjust the fronts to match the rear, that's just my opinion
Old 03-17-2014, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

I wanted to add a few more pictures of the new rear kit installed, these pictures show the top mount and also how they work with relocation brackets.

This kit is bolt on and we supply 3/16" thick spacers to space the shock mount out to clear relocation brackets.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:23 AM
FormerVendor

Here is another picture to share.

This is Jerry's 99' SS sitting on front and rear coil overs and lowered approximately 2". Pretty cool stance! And Alex looks pretty awesome too.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Here is another picture to share.

This is Jerry's 99' SS sitting on front and rear coil overs and lowered approximately 2". Pretty cool stance! And Alex looks pretty awesome too.

theres a car in that pic.......... lol
Old 03-19-2014, 08:21 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
theres a car in that pic.......... lol

Old 04-02-2014, 02:00 AM
Staging Lane

Looks like there is barely any space to get the spanner wrench in there, was it a pain to adjust these or am I seeing it like this due to the angle of the pics?
Thanks
Old 04-02-2014, 06:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good morning.

When the car is at ride height there is plenty of room for the spanner, as the angles change with travel.

-- Ramey
Old 04-05-2014, 01:37 AM
Staging Lane

Oh ok I see what your saying, I already installed my front viking coil overs with the 550lb springs and these rock, I will be ordering the rear set soon.

Zac from UMI was very helpful when I ordered my front viking kit
Old 04-05-2014, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance

If you purchase just the brackets you can run any shock you want such as a Ridetech, JRi and possibly a Koni. We can give you the shock length to look for.

I hope that helps,
Are just the brackets available? Sorry having a hard time finding them on the website if so
Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SSHulk
Oh ok I see what your saying, I already installed my front viking coil overs with the 550lb springs and these rock, I will be ordering the rear set soon.

Zac from UMI was very helpful when I ordered my front viking kit
Glad to hear Zac was able to help you.

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
Are just the brackets available? Sorry having a hard time finding them on the website if so
Looks like they are still adding these to the site but they are available. The bracket kit is $119.99 and we can do an order by phone or Paypal. Part # is 2045.

Thanks for the business!
Ryan

Quick Reply: UMI Releases New Product- Bolt-in Rear Coil Over Kit for the 82-02 GM F-Body