Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR K-Member Install - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BMR K-Member Install - Questions

So I finally got around to start installing my front suspension last night starting with the BMR K-Member.

I got it all up, got the 6 bolts started, then started wrenching on them. Using a Eastwood Digital Torque wrench and cranking them down, the torque on the 4 long bolts is VERY slowly rising, but it also seems like the k-member is bending the frame itself where the 4 tubes meet the frame. I got the 6 bolts to about 80 ft-lbs, then stopped.

Is this typical/normal? Anyone else experienced this? etc? I'm slightly concerned about the frame bending or appearing to bend/pull in, and the torque not coming up steadily as I would think it would.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:58 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, being as that every car has been through different situations, and factory tolerances are looser than that of our jig, the frame rails may be slightly "tweaked" in relation to the flat k-member. So as you tighten the bolts, it will pull any variation out and match it to the k-member surface.

Also, your post has me a little confused, are you using a torque wrench on the bolts the whole way? If that is the case, yes you may see a little bit higher numbers as the surfaces pull together and the pieces move to meet each other. But the important thing is to check it once they are all pulled down and fully mated up. If anything, pull them all down to toque. Loosen them, and re-torque them all again to make sure all the bind is out of them and the tension you feel is from the surfaces being fully mated.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I cranked on the bolts with a conventional racket until they were very snug, then started with the torque wrench; I probably turned the torque wrench a full 2-4 turns and was still only getting a steady 80ish ft-lbs so I stopped at that point. I'll try again tonight.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you put anti-seize or any sort of lubrication on the threads? Usually helps to keep from binding and over-torquing. Some guys run the bolts all the way down with an impact and get away with it. It isn't how we recommend to do it, but you would be amazed how many people do it that way. Don't be afraid to put some "oomph" on them, but if the bolt feels like it is binding or stretching, then stop.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I pulled the bolts, threw some silver anti-seize on them, then drove them in with the impact for 3-4 hits; then they torqued right down to 107 ft-lbs. Thanks!

Quick Reply: BMR K-Member Install - Questions