Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Correct end links for a lowered trans am??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct end links for a lowered trans am??

I have a 1998 trans am that is lowered on eibach pro kit springs with front bilsteins. I need to change the end links on my swaybar but am unsure what length to use or how to measure it. I am aware that a lowered car requires shorter end links to keep them at a 90 degree angle with the bar and function properly. Anybody know the length they used on a similar setup or have advice to offer? Thanks
Old 09-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll bump it. Google brought me here because I was wondering the same thing. I got longer links on the rear, but they came with a kit from UMI.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you go to the Energy Suspension catalog and/or website, they have a chart of all their endlinks, showing the various lengths. As the OP mentioned, the key is to keep the swaybar as close to parallel to the ground, so if you can, slide under the car, get the bar where it needs to be, and measure the distance between the lower a-arm, where the link passes through, and the end of the bar.

(Don't go to the "car specific" part of ES's catalog. Check the "universal" endlinks.)
Old 09-22-2014, 10:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You can use stock length end links. Bar angle in relation to the ground is irrelevant, unless the bar is hitting something from the ends swinging up (which usually only happens if lowered 2" or more). As long as the end links are equal lengths to each other that's all that matters, to ensure there is no preload on one side of the bar.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-19-2014, 05:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have part numbers for the Energy Suspension endlinks?
Old 11-19-2014, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most Auto zones and Advance stores stock them. That's where I got mine when I couldn't get an answer from a sponsor for days on here. And I even changed out the front and rear sway bar years ago and they matched up to what I had.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

You simply measure the length of the tube and buy the closest one. If you want them shorter for a lowered car, then just order a shorter one, but I agree that's not necessary just one of those things you hear on the web that you have to do.

I have aftermarket links, and I know what to use if you can't find them. Locally would likely be cheapest just because of shipping costs, but not everyone can find them locally.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-20-2014, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I lowered my car, my rear end links actually had the ends of the bar lower than the bottom of the shocks. While it didn't impact performance, I didn't like that idea. I ended up using slightly shorter spacers (like 3/4") and that brought the ends up a little higher.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In the front there's really no need to go with shorter end-links, but in the rear with lowered and having a aftermarket rear sway-bars and/or if you have a aftermarket 12 bolt or 9" rear end or even a thick differential cover on the factory 10bolt rear end assembly you might need shorter end links to keep the sway bar from hitting the rear end assembly.

Quick Reply: Correct end links for a lowered trans am??