Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Metallic Grinding/Rubbing sound coming from right rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Metallic Grinding/Rubbing sound coming from right rear wheel

First it was coming from the driver side rear wheel. I was just cruising, not braking or accelerating and out of nowhere this LOUD oscillating grinding noise appears. Sounds like the hub is rubbing against something, it oscillated quicker the faster I drive so I know its the wheel. I knew I needed brakes so I went ahead and installed new pads and rotors. Test drove it and it was fine for a couple of miles, but then the sound reappeared... but on the passenger rear wheel.

Checked for scuff marks but I didn't see anything.

Last edited by M4N14C; 04-07-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

No ideas? Just adjusted the e-brake (didn't do it after brake install) then took it for a test drive again to see if it was fixed. Went fine for about a mile then it came back. It got progressively worse, at first sounding like only one part of the drum was scraping on the rotor then to the point where it was a constant grinding (This was loud, with the windows up you could tell it was the passenger rear wheel, I could feel the vibrations in the steering wheel). I turned around to go home and then out of nowhere it stopped. Drove the rest of the way home and no indications that anything was wrong.

Could it just have been a rock or something that ground itself off?? I didn't see anything when I took the rotor off.

Quick Reply: Metallic Grinding/Rubbing sound coming from right rear wheel