Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Power Slot Rotors... Any Good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 12:15 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, lots of info in this thread. I'm suprised to see a cracked Power Slot. I have heard several cases of cracked drilled rotors, but not the sloted ones.

Another thing I beleive is that if the slots and drilled holes are actually CAST into the rotor, then cracking is less likely to occurr. I'm not sure if that's how Baer does it, so maybe that's why they have no problems.

I'm happy I went with the powers slots. I paid $166 for the front, so I'm not going to worry much.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trackbird
And, as a side note. I don't completely dislike slotted rotors (though I can live without drilled ones). I prefer not to run them on my own stuff due to cracking and wear concerns. I am trying to educate people to know the difference between the marketing hype and real science. Drilled/slotted rotors are not a "miracle cure". They are mostly just pretty. $800 in Eradispeeds will not help your car outbrake my car with $60 Brembo OEM rotors and Carbotech Panther Plus pads (but Baer will have you believe otherwise). It is the manufacturers way of seperating you from $800 that would be much better spent on other parts (if race cars use it, or used it, it has to be good for my street car, right?). With that said, we have run Wilwood slotted rotors on the AIX car (because that's what Wilwood makes in that size) and those (that use a series of very small, overlapping, slots) seem to hold up pretty well. But, for a few hundred dollars each (not including the hat), they should.
I looked at the Nascar brake setup on a cup car and they have long, swirling slots in them. If they are using them for Cup racing im sure that they are the evolution of earlier designs and probably work great. I looked at the metal they are made from and it looks a little different which may be the real improvement. Has anyone seen the new funky rotor that has no vanes in the center? kinda like a solid disk with grooves cut out and made from brake pad looking material.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Wow, lots of info in this thread. I'm suprised to see a cracked Power Slot. I have heard several cases of cracked drilled rotors, but not the sloted ones.

Another thing I beleive is that if the slots and drilled holes are actually CAST into the rotor, then cracking is less likely to occurr. I'm not sure if that's how Baer does it, so maybe that's why they have no problems.

I'm happy I went with the powers slots. I paid $166 for the front, so I'm not going to worry much.

These are Porsche brake rotors. The ones that everyone thinks are cast with holes and don't crack. As I remember, both are false.

These are $225 each Porsche 996TT rotors.
13.5" in diameter and 1.375" in width.

Quick Reply: Power Slot Rotors... Any Good?