Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone tried these rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 05:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone tried these rotors?

Im been lookin for some rotors. and come across these ones.But not sure. How are these rotors compared to our sponsors they seem to be good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 05-17-2004, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

From their advertising: "All rotors are cross-drilled and slotted for high performance that will increase your stopping ability."

Thats baloney. Drilled rotors are really just an appearance item, unless they are cast that way and came off a Porsche... I believer slotting has some arguable benefit depending on the conditions that they are intended to improve.

Your better off with stock replacements over that stuff IMO.
Some guys here go ballistic over manufacturer claims that drilled rotors increase stopping performance. Do some searching around here and I'm sure you can find one of those threads.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4mula1
From their advertising: "All rotors are cross-drilled and slotted for high performance that will increase your stopping ability."

Thats baloney. Drilled rotors are really just an appearance item, unless they are cast that way and came off a Porsche... I believer slotting has some arguable benefit depending on the conditions that they are intended to improve.

Some guys here go ballistic over manufacturer claims that drilled rotors increase stopping performance. Do some searching around here and I'm sure you can find one of those threads.
True on stopping ability, shouldn't make a huge difference. However, I'm pretty sure the heat disapation properties of aftermarket rotors allow for more consistency and less warping. My stockers would get all mushy once I'd done a few hard stops on em... I did EBC's all around not just for the look, but the actually give me solid braking whenever and wherever... Just my opinion...

OOooo just read the link... 90 replacement warranty for cracks and warping... hmmmm... sounds like they're expecting something to happen??? lol
Old 05-17-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by txhorns281
True on stopping ability, shouldn't make a huge difference. However, I'm pretty sure the heat disapation properties of aftermarket rotors allow for more consistency and less warping. My stockers would get all mushy once I'd done a few hard stops on em... I did EBC's all around not just for the look, but the actually give me solid braking whenever and wherever... Just my opinion...
That is a great theory, but it is not applicable to 99.9% of the rotors out there. A straight vaned rotor is a straight vaned rotor and will have similar surface area and cooling ability. If it was upgraded to a curved vane rotor, there may be a slight improvement. But, stock sized rotors are more similar than different. A good, stress relieved, casting will help prevent warping (Brembo OEM are a good choice), other than that, metal is metal and a 12" diameter chunk of it is still, basically, a 12" diameter chunk of it.

There is more info on the technical pages on my website (in my sig).

Have fun!
Old 05-17-2004, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4mula1

1. Even Porsche rotors are "pretty". They are drilled to reduce rotating weight more than anything else (other than to look pretty).

2. We just try to seperate fact from fiction and help you guys keep your hard earned money while buying safer products (it is much harder to crack a "blank rotor" than a drilled or slotted.)

As a side note, if the slot runs clear off the side of the rotor, a stress riser can develop and they can be very easy to crack along the slots. On a properly slotted rotor, the slot will not "exit the rotor surface". Even then, I'd pass on them, but a slot that is cut in the face and does not run off the outside edge of the rotor tells me the company has a "clue" about what they are doing.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks all for your replys. i would like to see a cracked drilled rotor.Have any of yall actually done this B4?
Old 05-17-2004, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 9833211
Thanks all for your replys. i would like to see a cracked drilled rotor.Have any of yall actually done this B4?
If you are hard enough on them, you can do this (and I know that those are not even drilled rotors, drilled would have been in pieces by then):

That is not my rotor. I've always managed to avoid cracking "blank" rotors. This was on a track car and well used. However, I believe Mitchntx had one come apart on him (a drilled rotor that "shattered" as I remember).

I just dropped Mitch a line to see if he had pics.

Last edited by trackbird; 05-17-2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9833211
From a Prospeed kit mounted on my '98 TA ...

These are $225 each Porsche 996TT rotors.
13.5" in diameter and 1.375" in width.

I hate them ... but it's the only rotor available for this kit.
But, it's what happens when you buy something before doing your homework.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:46 AM
11 Second Club

Much thanks for the knowledge.