Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Assembling Koni Front Strut

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Assembling Koni Front Strut

So, I started working on getting my BMR/Koni front strut put together with new Moog stuff (Moog K6516 & K6517 Front Strut Mounts, Moog K6573 Front Coil Spring Isolators, and Moog K80927 Front Lower Spring Pads). And I have a couple of questions:

1) The Koni struts came with four washers, nuts, and bump stops. Why so many? And where does the nut fit? It doesn't actually fit the strut. See attached picture. Also, I assume the washer goes there, but it doesn't seem to fit the Moog strut mount quite flush.

2) Why does the Moog strut mounts and isolators both come with nuts and bolts? I had assumed the Moog strut mounts came with two bolts and nuts for attaching to the car. But the nut actually fits the Koni strut. It's not to be used there is it? Wtf?

3) Where does the isolator go? Is that part of the a-arm assembly or coilover assembly? I don't see a place that looks right for it on this assembly.

4) Does the isolator go where I have it? Also, the Moog strut mount looks like it would fit in the spring, but it doesn't really. Is that ok or do I need to adjust somehow?

5) The lower spring pad from Moog comes with both the pad and the "cup" which is already installed on the Koni - I don't need that for anything, correct?

I realize I will need to compress the spring to get the nut on, but it looks like the way I have this set up, that I will end up compressing the shock as well. And the strut mount will be touching the isolator. That doesn't seem correct to me?

I couldn't find any assembled pictures on how this fits together. And I haven't removed the stock ones yet to see how they fit together.

Any help would be great. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2014, 04:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Give me a call here at the shop and I would be more than happy to help you out. I would have to write a novel so it is easier to explain over the phone. The number here to the shop is (813)986-9302 and I am here till 6pm eastern time.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Thanks, Kyle! It helps when I grab the right bag. Damn.

All set now!
Old 05-16-2014, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Thanks, Kyle! It helps when I grab the right bag. Damn.

All set now!
Not a problem, I am glad I could help you get squared away with everything.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Super Hulk Smash

So here's how it's supposed to look for anyone with questions:

Lower spring perch in place, spring, huge flat washer, upper strut mount, strut isolator, washer, and nylon lock nut:

And Kyle, I didn't have the shocks in the house when I called, but is there a reason they gave me four of the washers, nuts, and spacers? I just use one set per shock correct? I put a washer both below and on top of the rubber bump stop - does it matter which goes where (I assume only use one)? Sorry!

Old 05-16-2014, 04:48 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Nevermind, I see the washer goes against the body and the nut fits over it.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
And Kyle, I didn't have the shocks in the house when I called, but is there a reason they gave me four of the washers, nuts, and spacers? I just use one set per shock correct? I put a washer both below and on top of the rubber bump stop - does it matter which goes where (I assume only use one)? Sorry!

For the rear shock you need to slide one of the cupped washer on first with the cupped portion facing upward. After that slide one of the rubber bushing on the shaft of the shock with the flat side sitting on the washer that is already on the shock. With these two things on the shock you can go ahead and install the shock on the car. When you get the shock up in the car you need to go inside the car and slide another rubber bushing flat side up in the shaft so where the two rubber bushings are sandwiching the chassis of the car. Lastly slide another one of the cupped washer with cupped portion facing downward on top of the rubber bushing then you can thread the poly lock nut on and tighten everything down.

Here is the orientation of everything with it installed from top to bottom on the shock shaft:

Poly lock nut
Cupped washer
Rubber bushing
Car chassis
Rubber bushings
Cupped washer

Old 05-16-2014, 05:09 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Excellent!
Old 05-16-2014, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have not already compressed the springs and installed the upper mount assembly then I'd remove the upper mount assembly and give the upper shock mount shaft a good coat of Anti-Seize all the way up including the threads at the top, then slide the upper mount on and then give it another coat of Anti-Seize right around where the shaft comes through the top of the upper mount. Now install the strut (shock) isolator, washer and lock nut. This way you should never have to worry about the upper shock shaft and mount assembly rusting out.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 05-16-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

different shocks but if you look at the picture attached this is the layout of the rear shocks for how the bushings go, basically the body of the car gets sandwiched between the 2 rubber pieces.
Attached Thumbnails Assembling Koni Front Strut-img_20140320_151530_896.jpg  
Old 05-16-2014, 07:31 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Thanks guys. I'm going to try to get them installed tomorrow. And that's a good tip on the anti-seize.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A heads up.

That upper mount does not fit that spring very well, over time it will conform to the spring and possibly loosen that nut on the top.

I would run it 6 mos and check that nut again.

Or you could get this. I did not install these, they were on the car when I bought it.

EDIT

Put grease all over that top nut and threads, the upper arms hold water. See the rust in that pic?
Old 05-17-2014, 10:22 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
A heads up. That upper mount does not fit that spring very well, over time it will conform to the spring and possibly loosen that nut on the top. I would run it 6 mos and check that nut again.
It should fit properly once the spring is compressed, and then when the nut is torqued down, everything will snug up nicely. Or so it appears to me.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed my koni's, but I didn't buy new strut mounts-- should I have?
Old 05-17-2014, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 5_litre_eater
I just installed my koni's, but I didn't buy new strut mounts-- should I have?
As long as the rubber was in fairly good shape and there was only surface rust, nothing deep then you should be fine. I would still recommend that any exposed metal in the upper mount and upper control arm mount be cleaned up and given a coat of anti-seize or synthetic waterproof grease(clear poly bushing grease works good!) to protect the metal from rust damage.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:00 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I'll be swapping to new upper and lower a-arms soon.

The upper mount actually fits once you compress the spring and fully torque the nut. I could see that being a problem if you use the nut to torque the mount down. It'll never be tight enough.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Super Hulk Smash

And here it is installed. Luckily, I had everything lined up spot on, so it slid in like butter. One of the mounts had the bolt going in crooked, so... nothing an impact can't fix.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

So... Jake, you got that car on the road yet and taken it for a nice drive?
Old 05-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Super Hulk Smash

No. Waiting on an Odyssey battery. And I still need to do the brakes. Lol. Scope creep.

Quick Reply: Assembling Koni Front Strut