Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What's the deal with rear caliper bolts?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default What's the deal with rear caliper bolts?

I've fought with these before and was able to get mine off once I stepped up to a 1/2" drive ratchet, however I have one that now refuses to budge even with the 1/2" ratchet.

I think an air impact would be a quick solution but I don't have easy access to one so I'm going to let some PB Blaster soak before I try it again, however what I don't understand is why they're so difficult to get off? Are you guys using a breaker bar on it?

Isn't the torque spec on the caliper guide pin bolt only 23 ft/lbs?

I could understand if it was the caliper mouting bracket bolt (torqued to 74 ft/lb).
Old 05-19-2014, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All you need is a good mallet to whack the wrench a couple times or a breaker bar works, but I would advise using the fewer number of sides socket so you grip the bolt exactly.

Originally Posted by Midnight02
I've fought with these before and was able to get mine off once I stepped up to a 1/2" drive ratchet, however I have one that now refuses to budge even with the 1/2" ratchet.

I think an air impact would be a quick solution but I don't have easy access to one so I'm going to let some PB Blaster soak before I try it again, however what I don't understand is why they're so difficult to get off? Are you guys using a breaker bar on it?

Isn't the torque spec on the caliper guide pin bolt only 23 ft/lbs?

I could understand if it was the caliper mouting bracket bolt (torqued to 74 ft/lb).
Old 05-19-2014, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
All you need is a good mallet to whack the wrench a couple times or a breaker bar works, but I would advise using the fewer number of sides socket so you grip the bolt exactly.
Any chance you recall what size socket it is? I'm away from my car and it would probably just make sense to pick up a good socket while I'm out.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ No, but you need one of these: http://toolmonger.com/2009/12/08/cos...scent-toolkit/
Old 05-19-2014, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

couple rear assemblies in garage have 15mm hex. I 'impact' them loose with a good fitting long box wrench struck by a heavy hammer/mallet.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I noticed they like to get stuck. But better that than loosening themselves instead.

I have a breaker bar or a long-handled ratchet I use for stubborn stuff like that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the deal with rear caliper bolts?