Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

AC Delco replacement shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll just put in my 3 cents. I put Bilsteins on my car 2 weeks ago and now wished I'd have done it years ago. Since I have 18" wheels my stock shocks/struts were overwhelmed. The Bilsteins gave my car that factory ride back. I freaking love the way it rides now.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '94 has 80k and had been literally driven by "grandpa". It also has been parked for the last 5 years. I am not absolutely sure the shocks NEED replacing, however my Scooby instinct tells me that after 20 years, it probably should be done.

The car does not ride smooth at all, it's bumpy, lumpy, and rides like it is on railroad tracks. I am starting off by removing the 15 year old tires that are currently on it. I am having new tires installed tomorrow so we will see how it rides after that.

Personally, I would be really irritated if I took off 65k Decarbons (whatever their valving spec is) and noticed no improvement after spending at least $500 and all day swapping parts out.

From what most of you are saying, there is the possibility that the AC Delco 540-27's could ride with the same plushness as the Bilsteins.

I think I may be the guinnea pig for the masses, and install the AC Delco 540-27 monotube "OEM replacements" since no one else on the planet has ever done so.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Curious to hear your thoughts if you go with the AC Delco monotube replacements.

I'm another big fan of the Bilsteins as an all-around better shock than the stock Decarbons (from both a handling and a ride comfort standpoint), however I respect your desire to stay OEM. I replaced the stock Decarbon shocks on my 2002 after cutting up a pair of new rear tires (305/35/18 Nitto 555R's on a stock ride height car) -- they only had 50K miles on them at the time. Went with Bilsteins and the difference was quite noticeable (and it was nice not cutting up more tires)

I would think replacing the 15 year old tires and 20 year old shocks would yield a noticeable improvement from your current ride quality.

Quick Reply: AC Delco replacement shocks