Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

help with spring choice and ride height drop

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default help with spring choice and ride height drop

after 12 years my rear springs i'm pretty sure are sagging.
i got the car, 2002 ss, with the SLP level 1 suspension, #10567 on the invoice.
anyone know the ride height, or drop, of those on the rear compared to the oem springs that i would get through napa or rockauto for $70 (15.25"/10.25", load 518 rate 104) ?
i'm looking for something, possibly front springs too, that won't make the car look lousy with gawdy wheel well gaps but i want a softer easier suspension for the crap roads around here. i don't need to carve corners.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:29 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

This is a common issue for these springs as they are basically just re-branded Eibachs. We have a ton of people who switch from those springs to ours and are very happy with the stance and ride of them. We warranty our springs for life against sagging also. Here is a link to another thread from a customer we recently dealt with having the same issue you are and his experience:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-bmr-kyle.html
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-12-2014, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks, i always forget who sells what.
i got the car up and measured the rear springs compressed, it looks like just under 9" from the body (center of rubber isolator) to where the spring touches the perch on rear axle.
gonna try a pair of moog 635 springs in the next day or 2 just out of curiosity to see how the car sits in the rear vs what it's at now. it looks like the slp level 1 suspension was a 3/4" drop, not sure what i'm at now but i'm running into problems with the 3.5" drive shaft hitting the body if there's any weight in the back of the car because of the new rear axle install. so i'm really hesitant to buy any new springs without knowing what the amount of drop really is, or where 0" drop is. for all i know my current rear springs have me at 3" drop i don't know.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Measure from the center of the lip of your wheel-well openings to the ground with the car parked on a flat surface. Factory cars sit right around 27 to 27-1/4" at this measurement. See where yours is currently sitting and that can tell you how far the car is dropped now
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks like about 26.5" in the rear, seeing about 28.25" in the front.
Attached Thumbnails help with spring choice and ride height drop-frontgap.jpg   help with spring choice and ride height drop-frontmeasure.jpg   help with spring choice and ride height drop-reargap1.jpg   help with spring choice and ride height drop-reargap2.jpg   help with spring choice and ride height drop-rearmeasure.jpg  

Quick Reply: help with spring choice and ride height drop