Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock vs Bilstein shocks, which are better for drag

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 04:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shocks do make a huge difference. I went from Bilsteins to QA1s on the front, set them to full loose and immediately dropped .2 in the 60 foot. But if you care about ride on the street I don't recommend the QA1s. The ride was awful. Plus they started leaking oil at right around every 7,000 miles. Sold the QA1s, the Bilsteins are back on the car and I don't care about 2 tenths.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dude292
Thanks Kyle, and yes its a 4L60E with a Yank 4000 behind it. I will give you a call next week.
Sounds good, I will be more than happy to help you out.

Originally Posted by 94FBIRD
Shocks do make a huge difference. I went from Bilsteins to QA1s on the front, set them to full loose and immediately dropped .2 in the 60 foot. But if you care about ride on the street I don't recommend the QA1s. The ride was awful. Plus they started leaking oil at right around every 7,000 miles. Sold the QA1s, the Bilsteins are back on the car and I don't care about 2 tenths.
This is one of the main reason I never recommend QA1. There are definitely much better quality shock for the same price as the QA1s like Strange and Viking Performance and those are what we use and recommend.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-09-2015, 01:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i will see the track maybe 7 to 10 times a year, and car is my daily. i doubt i'll ever be pushing more than 340 to the wheels, at least not for another 3 years. so would bilsteins or str.t's "hurt" my 60ft at all compared to if i went strange sa's all the way around? and also, sure i know the ride may be a bit rougher on the street with the strange's, but let me tell you ... i'm only used to stock decarbons with 135k miles on them with the rears bottoming out with my son, 140lbs, & my daughter, 110lbs, in the car with me (i weigh 225). so yea my rears are gone & have been that way since car purchase & only gotten worse over the past 3 weeks. as long as the strange's will be at minimal a slightly better ride than totally worn out decarbons & will stop me bottoming out i would like to get them, but if my other 2 mentioned options will yield me no worse results at the strip than strange's at my power level i guess i would go with one of them for a better street ride.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ for BMR or anyone else, i was kind of asking lol ... any input? i would really like the strange sa's if ride quality will be at least as good as decarbons on the street - even a bit harsher is acceptable. i'm not going fast around corners or autox'ing ever, but do take the occasional hour to 2 hour freeway drive. in the same token, if bilsteins or strt's will be nicer on the street & not hurt my 60 ft by more than a tenth over the strange's at my relatively low power level, i wouldn't mind one of those 2.

Quick Reply: Stock vs Bilstein shocks, which are better for drag