Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering the front sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowering the front sway bar

I have a 95 firebird with the huron speed twin turbo kit. the turbo piping is in the way of where the sway bar would normally mount.

It is a street car and would prefer to keep the front sway bar. Now, I could make brackets to lower the factory sway bar mounting brackets, but I don't know much about suspensions, and what effect that would have. Does anyone have any input on this? Is it a horrible idea, or has it been done before?
Old 07-09-2014, 02:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pac1085
I have a 95 firebird with the huron speed twin turbo kit. the turbo piping is in the way of where the sway bar would normally mount.

It is a street car and would prefer to keep the front sway bar. Now, I could make brackets to lower the factory sway bar mounting brackets, but I don't know much about suspensions, and what effect that would have. Does anyone have any input on this? Is it a horrible idea, or has it been done before?
How much lower do you need the front sway bar to sit for everything to work? If you have to lower the front sway bar a bunch I wouldn't recommend it but if it is just a little bit I am sure you could make some spacers to space it down and it would work out just fine.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had to lower my sway bar for my APS Twin Turbo kit and didnt notice any negative affects in handling, even in the twisties through the moutains. Mines lowered about an inch and a half if i remember correctly, I'd have to double check. Its lowered more than I prefer but was necessary to stop them from hitting the APS charge pipes constantly. The only negative side effect I've had was because I've also shortened my end links and the combination of that and lowering the sway bar made it a bit of a juggling act to get it not to hit things. I've got it almost perfect but on hard potholes that I cant avoid I still hit on my APS pipes. Hopefully the HuronSpeed Twin kit fits better if the sway bar can be fitted.

I'm curious as to how much you need to lower the sway bar as well. I've got the HuronSpeed Twin kit hot side waiting for the rest of the parts to collect up and I figured I'd have to ditch the sway bar altogether on that setup. I'd prefer to keep it if it is somehow possible as my car sees more street than strip (even the street time is laughable these days though )
Old 07-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Teching In

I should be getting the pipes on in the next week and will update this thread with the info. It looked like it needed to be lowered significantly when I threw them on to mock it up - possibly 3+ inches.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pac1085
I should be getting the pipes on in the next week and will update this thread with the info. It looked like it needed to be lowered significantly when I threw them on to mock it up - possibly 3+ inches.
That seems like a good bit. Definitely keep us updated so we know how it turns out for you.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-14-2014, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you guys lower the sway bar i want to keep mine and im adding a Huron kit to my car. Any pics what did you guys use?
Old 09-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Now that I have the kit installed, I can confirm that there is no way in hell the front sway bar will ever fit. The pipes are right in the way of the brackets and even if they did fit, it would need to go down about 5-6 inches. Looks like they will be making a new twin kit that fits the front sway.

Quick Reply: Lowering the front sway bar