Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New Koni shock possibly bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Koni shock possibly bad?

Got home today and to my surprise I got my Koni Str.t shocks in (finally!) So I couldn't resist opening up the package to scope out the new shocks and hand test them out. The first one had that white plastic strap around it and I took it off and it uncompressed on its own. However, I did that to the second shock and the white plastic thing that holds the shock down, was off the shock and the shock was fully compressed. I thought that it should uncompress on its own, but it wasn't doing that. I still pulled the rod out as far as it could go and compressed it on my own and it has the same dampening as the first shock, so the resistance is the same for both shocks, just one doesn't uncompress on its own.

*Just called Koni to see what their thoughts were and they said that as long as it has gas pressure when you uncompress it, its fine. The gas pressure is there to mix with the oils and help aeration(?) They also said I could try twisting the rod and it might start going up on its own. I guess its fine, just being cautious though. I'll still post this to see if this common for you guys, make me feel better
Attached Thumbnails New Koni shock possibly bad?-img_20140911_154444-1-.jpg  
Old 09-12-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

That's exactly how mine came. Have had them in about 3 months now running good.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well now that I know that that's normal and a noob misconception , I started unbolting my driver's side shock yesterday. I've grown a nice hate for the master cylinder now, along with rust. Got the shock assembly out eventually and I was hoping for a good mount so I wouldn't have to replace them. I was dead wrong tho. I tried looking for the nut among all the fused rust up there and couldn't even begin to discern where it is (check pictures.) I didn't buy mounts so luck didn't favor me here very well. Ended up shoving the whole assembly back up in there and returning to stock. Got to replace one sway bar endlink though, a gentle twist to loosen the nut and *snap* old endlink is now trash.

Is there a way to get the springs out of there by cutting the shock shaft or somewhat, I want to use stock springs, that would be great. Also my vertical bushing is fighting for its life...
Attached Thumbnails New Koni shock possibly bad?-img_20140912_182222-1-.jpg   New Koni shock possibly bad?-img_20140912_182002-1-.jpg  
Old 09-13-2014, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Use the new Moog problem solver for that vertical bushing!

Read:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...l#post18375806
Old 09-19-2014, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I decided that to get the springs off my shocks, I need a good neighbor who would be willing to help me grind off the old nut (thanks in advance for letting me using your tools.) But in the meantime, I replaced my front sway bar endlinks and bushings and spray-painted it also. Both endlinks snapped on me when I took the old ones off ha. Now that I've got it in now, I wasn't paying attention to how it was originally on there, and I may have the whole sway bar in backwards... Guess I was admiring the new red bushings and endlinks too much I may have it right but want to make sure, if anyone could correct me here.

Yeah yeah I know my steering rack is leaking and my hack-job coolant hose thingy doesn't look that fanciest either nor does the spray-paint on the sway bar, homemade gives it better touch anyhow
Attached Thumbnails New Koni shock possibly bad?-img_20140919_170859-1-.jpg  

Quick Reply: New Koni shock possibly bad?