Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

K-members, control arms and some common misconceptions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't say it would be a waste but if your looking for the maximum performance from your suspension there are gains from changing both uppers and lowers.

With the adjustable uppers they will allow for camber and caster adjustments while providing a non-binding suspension for performance.

As far as the lowers go you want to have articulation on at least the vertical bushing
For "bind free" suspension. The more articulation you have in the bushing the better it will work.

There's been many arguments over poly-vs-rubber-vs-rod end/roto bushings here on this forum. So the best thing to do would be to talk with guys that use their car similar in application as you will and you'll get a feel as to what the different bushings have to offer and what will work best for your application

Craig
Old 02-09-2016, 03:12 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
I wouldn't say it would be a waste but if your looking for the maximum performance from your suspension there are gains from changing both uppers and lowers.

With the adjustable uppers they will allow for camber and caster adjustments while providing a non-binding suspension for performance.

As far as the lowers go you want to have articulation on at least the vertical bushing
For "bind free" suspension. The more articulation you have in the bushing the better it will work.

There's been many arguments over poly-vs-rubber-vs-rod end/roto bushings here on this forum. So the best thing to do would be to talk with guys that use their car similar in application as you will and you'll get a feel as to what the different bushings have to offer and what will work best for your application

Craig
Ok, thanks for the reply.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Free bump to some cool info. I just finished swapping mine out this morning (like 130am). Picked it up used. Haven't got it on the road, but my first impression is along the lines of - How the hell did I ever work on this thing before? So. Much. Room.

Thanks for a great product
Old 03-01-2016, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Free bump to some cool info. I just finished swapping mine out this morning (like 130am). Picked it up used. Haven't got it on the road, but my first impression is along the lines of - How the hell did I ever work on this thing before? So. Much. Room.

Thanks for a great product
I'll agree. I had two Camaros at one point, a '00 and a '02. When I did something like an evap relo or an alternator upgrade, I usually started on the '02 which has all tubular goodies. After easily installing it on that car, it usually gave me a sense of confidence before I attacked the stock A-arm/stock K-member '00. The tubular K-member and A-arms are huge for me for more than just the weight.

Also, Darth, just a reminder: your avatar is awesome. That is all.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So by these weights, stock K member, LCA's and UCA's are 91 lbs. BMR Tubular stuff is 55 lbs.

BMR can you shoot me a PM for your k member, adj uppers and lowers price please as a package? Thanks
Old 12-01-2016, 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just wanted to bring this up to the top again, I have added all the information that was added in later to the original post, and I will be adding some more soon. it will be a little confusing as this was originally posted under my old name, but for the sake of simplicity I will be adding to the original post instead of making a new one

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-24-2017, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

Eric, can you get the pictures to work?
Old 01-13-2022, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great info thanks
Old 01-21-2022, 03:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

stiffer and likely more NVH depending on what joints you put in, but same could be said for whatever spring shock combo you go with. For basic driving you would likely see minor differences and probably a change in the feedback you feel in the steering wheel.

I have full upper and lowers with adjustable rod ends but I went from v6 to v8 and that was way to many years ago to tell you the difference I felt. I dont remember anything being stand out other then it being a little more noisy with the poly ends not being used.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Any tips on doing a k-member in an 01 SS without dropping the engine and using an engine support bar instead???
Old 06-04-2022, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Yea just use a bar across the shock towers and ratchet straps

Quick Reply: K-members, control arms and some common misconceptions