Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Driving with 1 broken front strut mount, how dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving with 1 broken front strut mount, how dangerous?

I bought moog strut mounts when I did my suspenson, because I couldn't afford the GM ones. The RH side broke within 1,000 miles, lowered on stranos.
I have a bounce in the front end now, is ride quality the only thing affected here? Or am I doing more and more damage the more I drive it? It will be a couple weeks before I can do the repairs, but I can park it if I need to.

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

Do you have any pics of the damage?
Old 09-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Teching In

No I don't, but the center bolt of the shock pulled through the rubber mount. The shock is basically just sitting in there unattached.

I hear no clunking or popping, only a bouncy front end over dips and interstate transitions at speed. I assume it pretty much riding on the spring with very little dampening, but I don't know how bad that is or if ill be OK driving for a couple hundered more miles.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Double check you had the shock mount isolator installed. It's a common mistake but you might also have a bad mount. As far as it being dangerous like you said there's going to be close to no immediate dampening but I'd try to stray away from highway driving or rough roads, my 2 cents
Old 09-20-2014, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

well at this point you have NOTHING but the weight of the car holding the assembly together, one bump the wrong way and you have NO suspension in that corner, also you very well could damage the spring (pics I've seen on here of BENT springs as a result of the mount ripping out), so NO I would not drive on it if you can avoid it.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Yes the isolator is in.

I just hope my spring is ok...

Thank you for the input gentlemen, ill be parking her until i can buy the EXPENSIVE AS HELL GM mounts...which sucks because now is the best ttop weather lol.

Quick Reply: Driving with 1 broken front strut mount, how dangerous?