Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjustable panhard bar and alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 04:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Adjustable panhard bar and alignment

Do I need to get an alignment done after installing a adjustable panhard bar? Here's what I'm doing: Got some 315 tires/rims and the passenger side rubs on the inner fenderwell, and the drivers side hits the outer fender lip...which obviously says my axle isn't perfectly centered. With that said I want to center it for maximum clearance, but need to know if that will throw things out of alignment. Also the car is not lowered either. Not sure if that matters or not, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2014, 07:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main goal of that adjustable bar is to center your axle. I like to take a plum bob and hold/tape it to the top of the wheel arch, let it settle, then take a measurement from the string to center of the wheel. Then adjust until the measurement is equal on both sides at static ride height.

There shouldn't need to be any further adjustments. Just take notice of your thrust angle when you have a four wheel alignment done, and it's always a good idea to check your pinion angle when the car is at a different height than stock.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:09 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the best things I did was get a four wheel alignment with my UMI adjustable rear lower control arms and UMI adjustable panhard (and check thrust angle, too). If you're considering adjustable front control arms, get those tossed on and head to a trustworthy shop (you can find a list of "good" shops via BMR's "public service announcement") to do it all at once.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks guys! Ok so you guys are saying to at least have it thrown on the alignment rack to check just in case, or am I understanding that wrong? Also I was told that if it did need an alignment it would only be for the front only since the car has a solid rear axle. Is that not correct?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing I just talked to you over the phone, so it was good speaking with you! For those reading this to gather further information - It's not necessary to have a four wheel alignment done if you're putting just a panhard bar on the car for axle centering. I would be more inclined to wait for a four wheel alignment if swapping on adjust lower control arms to check thrust angle. And like Demonspeed Steve said, if you plan on throwing the fronts on also, get it all aligned once and have it done right.

A two wheel alignment would be good to get your camber and toe set, but when you start installing adjustable rear items (adjustable LCA), a four wheel is necessary for thrust angle adjustment.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yep that was me that just called actually. Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Adjustable panhard bar and alignment