Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Uneven rear end

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Uneven rear end

My Drivers rear side sits higher than my passenger side and its been this way for many years, but enough is enough and now I'm trying to level it out but not making progress.

I swapped the rear springs left/right and nothing changed (granted I did this some time ago), and played with the adjustable panhard rod. I also removed the top spring isolator and did the heater hose mod to the drivers side while keeping the passenger side isolator in and putting heater hose on that spring in hopes of that dropping the drivers side & raising the passenger side simultaneously would get it close. .... no dice.

One odd thing I noticed under the car is that the upper panhard bar -not the aftermarket one - but the stamped OEM one above it seems to have a bend in it on the passenger side of it. Do these things bend or flex over time and looking at how it mounts with the 3 bolts on one side & the single through bolt on the pass side above the PHR.... how can that thing even bend without that whole part of the car deforming?
I'm out of ideas.

Regardless of this, I'm ordering new LCA's and adjustable PHR from BMR tomorrow and contemplating their rear springs as well. All the current suspension mods are greater than 10 years old at this point.

After doing this, this is where the rear is at-- Following the centerline of the wheel up from the ground, the drivers side fender is at 27 3/8" and the passenger side fender is 26 1/4". That's over an inch of difference still.

Any ideas? Here's some pics. The spring pic is the pass side & you can see the heater hose in the isolator.
Attached Thumbnails Uneven rear end-img_20141008_175332_483.jpg   Uneven rear end-img_20141008_175348_529.jpg   Uneven rear end-img_20141008_153609_173.jpg  

Last edited by Heat Seeker WS6; 10-09-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spy the word Eibach stamped on the spring...

I know that's probably not your whole issue here but you're going to get some flak on that right there I can almost guarantee it

That is a pretty large variance from your left and right side tho
Old 10-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
I spy the word Eibach stamped on the spring...

I know that's probably not your whole issue here but you're going to get some flak on that right there I can almost guarantee it

That is a pretty large variance from your left and right side tho
Agreed on the springs and its time they go and even though I'm not ready to do all the shocks/ struts & springs now, I'm thinking about doing at least the rear springs immediately because of this.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True, I just reread what you posted and you switched the springs around and it didn't help, which points more to the fact that your springs are alright.

I'm out of ideas other than when you sit in it, it would level out some but not completely and it should sit better than that with no one in the car anyways
Old 10-09-2014, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The factory upper PHB brace is designed with a slightly bent /flattened area where the exhaust pipe goes over it. Have some sit in the drivers seat of you car that weighs very close to your weight then take another photo, and also measure the rear ride height again on both sides.
Which direction are both the L & R lower spring pigtails ends pointing....?

BTW, you can also get a set of Hotchkis rear springs. They'll sit slightly higher and are slightly softer than the BMR rear springs.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-09-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
The factory upper PHB brace is designed with a slightly bent /flattened area where the exhaust pipe goes over it. Have some sit in the drivers seat of you car that weighs very close to your weight then take another photo, and also measure the rear ride height again on both sides.
Which direction are both the L & R lower spring pigtails ends pointing....?

BTW, you can also get a set of Hotchkis rear springs. They'll sit slightly higher and are slightly softer than the BMR rear springs.
Both lower pigtails are facing forward.

I'll find someone to simulate my weight & I'm sold on the BMR's, especially on how the car gets driven

Can the shocks be part of the cause? I have older non-adj KYB's. Those will be replaced by s/a Konis
Old 10-10-2014, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Okay, so you've got the spring in with the pigtails pointed in the correct direction. Have you checked the rear sway-bar end-links condition, and for equal L & R adjustment, or disconnected the rear sway-bar end-links, then check the ride height again to see if the sway-bar assembly is a contributing factor..?

No, the rear shocks play no part in ride height.

I hate to say it, but it's fairly normal for the right rear to sit lower than the drivers side rear, but with it being a full 1" there's the possibility there's other factors contributing to it.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I know we spoke on the phone about this earlier. Like i said, I suspect there may be an issue with a front spring. I know those springs are known for the rears to sag, but it is not unheard of for the fronts to do it as well. To test this, you could try the same thing. Swap your strut assembly from side to side and see if the lean follows the spring. If so, you have found the culprit
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-10-2014, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Unless the front ride height is noticeably off from side-to-side I wouldn't even touch the front. Now if it is I would first disconnect the front sway-bar end-links to verify if the sway-bar assembly is/isn't part of the problem, then go from there.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if the driver side front sits high, then passenger side rear would sit lower.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Launching!

About 2 months ago I put on a Strano rear sway bar, so that area is good. I'll measure the front heights again and determine on looking further into that part of suspension.

That is correct a sagging front passenger side would raise drivers rear & visa versa.

Another thing that I'm going to look at are the rear spring perches. While ordering brakes from Sam Strano today he suggested one may be deformed / bent.

This is definitely an interesting problem and Eric and others, thanks for the help with this!
Old 10-10-2014, 03:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if the driver side front sits high, then passenger side rear would sit lower.
This was kind of the direction I was going with. Most likely the height is different in the front as well, and could be attributed to the rear sagging and lowering that side. However, it may not be a side effect, but actually may be the cause. It could just be showing up in the rear because of the lighter spring rates and less weight int he back vs the front.It's like a "see-saw" effect
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Launching!

I just measured both fronts and they are both exactly at 25 1/2". Compared to other springs is that a bit low?
Old 10-10-2014, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

25.5" is about right if those are the Eibach Sportline lowering springs, but it's on the low side for Pro-Kit springs. The Eibach lowering springs typically lower noticeably more than the rated drop.
IMO, that's lower than most lowering springs.
Since the front is even from side-to-side I'd go back to focusing on the rear.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-10-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

BTW, have you verified the rear side-to-side ride height variation at more than one know flat/level location...?
Old 10-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Launching!

BTW, have you verified the rear side-to-side ride height variation at more than one know flat/level location...?
Yeah, I've taken measurements at 2 parking lots on test drives to verify the height differential.

Those are Sportlines and the 2 new rear BMRs will be arriving early next week. I'm thinking also the front is OK.

What I did just now was remove both rear springs -undid the heater hose mod, swapped left & right springs, re-installed both upper and lower spring isolators only. Did a couple mile test drive to let things settle and then remeasured all 4 corners and the fronts are still 25.5" and still 1" higher on drivers side. Driver-27 1/8" ; pass 26 1/8".
Old 10-11-2014, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I did some check today with a digital level on my old factory rear-end I have out on my covered patio and the passenger side spring seat base(not the raised center) is at a .4* to .5* downward angle( / ) compared to the driver side. I even checked the mount height of the L & R spring seats on the axle tubes and it's only about 1/16" difference between both sides. BTW, there's no damage at all to my factory 7.5 rear-end externally, and I found you cant just "eye-ball" it on the car. You'll really need to take some measurements and use a digital angle finder since the passenger side spring will look like it's tipped back noticeably compared to the driver side mainly do to it construct with the phb mount making the driver side look flat. IMO, unless there some damage to your passenger side spring seat you find the "rear sag" the you experience will always be present to a varying degree. Have you tried rotating the passenger side spring 180* so the pigtail is pointing rearward ? if it decreases the L-to-R variation then leave it. If it makes it worse then rotate it back 180* and then rotate the driver side spring 180* so the pigtail is pointed rearward. If it changes nothing then just put it back, shake you fist at the car and sit down and have a cold beer with a well deserved break!
IMO, if you can find a way (without cutting the driver side spring) to get the ride height variation within 1/2", try to be happy and live with it.

BTW, did you check the rear ride height variation with your weight or a close equivalent in the DR seat?

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-11-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Well I went to a local frame shop today and they found the car is twisted. We went down the list of everything and they took measurements. Week after next it goes in for the work and then it should be all good.

Added to the list..... BMR subframes!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was strongly starting to think that it might just be a chassis/body issue but 1" just sounded like to much to just be a variation from the chassis/body assembly process. Good to hear you found the issue. Hopefully the repair doesn't count to much!

Please up date us with the after repair results.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Launching!

I was strongly starting to think that it might just be a chassis/body issue but 1" just sounded like to much to just be a variation from the chassis/body assembly process. Good to hear you found the issue. Hopefully the repair doesn't count to much!

Please up date us with the after repair results.
the shop is going to charge about 350 for the work, which is very reasonable I think. Looking forward to getting this done.... tio bad its just in time for winter storage!
Old 10-15-2014, 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat Seeker WS6
Well I went to a local frame shop today and they found the car is twisted. We went down the list of everything and they took measurements. Week after next it goes in for the work and then it should be all good.

Added to the list..... BMR subframes!
We will have our newly designed BMR subframe connectors released here very soon and you may be the perfect person to get us some feedback on them. When you are ready for some subframe connectors just let me know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: Uneven rear end