Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 03:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Ironically, I got this from a customer today. It's relevant. He's not an autocrosser or a Road racer... or a drag racer either.

"Well i know why the front end felt weird. The two clamps the front sway bar U clamps bolt to are broken. Drivers side completely and the passengers side partially."

In short his front bar wasn't working up to scratch and he noticed it. So what can I tell you?
Well of course he is going to feel a difference, nobody is arguing that there is no difference in feel. I am not sure what you are trying to prove by posting this.

It is 100% obvious and clear that there will be a difference in the feel and handling with the front sway bar removed but it is not like the car is magically going to spin out and spontaneously combust.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-21-2014, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure why people are bringing up handling every 10 minutes anyways trying to defend their position. I took it off knowing it would effect handling. I started this thread and asked about weight transfer. Which it helped. Question answered.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Perfect. I can't read minds, and if you knew that it might have avoided a lot of this to have said "I know this isn't the best thing to do for a street car" or something. That's my only complaint is when people act like there is NO consequence, which some seem to think. And maybe they believe that, maybe they don't know better. I don't know. Because again, I can't read minds.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-23-2014, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

Its not about being able to read minds. Its about answering the question thats asked not throwing in your two cents just because you can..If I must edit my original post to make you happy I suppose I will..
Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Can't re-rail a de-railed train!
Old 10-23-2014, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

I know :c
Old 10-23-2014, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sladester- Just a story I wanted to share...

I bought a '99 Z28 back in 2006. First LS car. I drove the car every day, on the highway, everywhere. To me, it handled well. Bilstein HD shocks, DMS springs, BMR LCAs. That's about all I knew about the suspension when I bought it as I was told from the previous owner.
The car before it was a '95 LT1 Formula with stone stock suspension with an Eibach Sportline spring set on it. To me, they handled the same corner wise, not that I have ever really pushed my cars in the corners on the street nor had them on a road course/auto-x. The '99 Z28 wasn't as jarring, the shocks/springs were softer on it than the '95 Formula with worn out stock shocks and those eibachs that slammed it on the ground.

After owning the '99 Z28 for a few months I took it to a friends shop to have some work done on it. Someone there came over to the car when I was looking around under it and said 'oh no front swaybar huh, hows it drive without that on there?'

I looked at him puzzled, said what do you mean no front swaybar? He points and says, it looks like someone has removed it. I was shocked. I thought it was there all along. To me, I hadn't noticed a lack of handling in these two cars. I thought for sure it was still on there, I sure hadn't missed it.

I tend to believe that if you have to perform a difficult evasive maneuver at highway speeds, you're lucky to get out of it with the car and yourself intact, regardless of what suspension is installed on the car. There's always risks in modding a car regardless, you have to know yours and your cars limits and don't do stupid stuff on the street, especially when others are around.

Quick Reply: front sway bar