Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 03:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Again I think you are being hugely unrealistic to think that anyone drives that far under the limit, especially people who are looking to go so fast they are worrying about the weight of a stock sway bar that is barely more than 10 pounds.

Also, maybe it's something to do with the area I live and the roads I drive on. Things are not flat and straight around here. We have lots of deer and animals and things that folks often try to avoid, even when driving 'responsibly'.

I think it's common sense.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-17-2014, 04:06 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Again I think you are being hugely unrealistic to think that anyone drives that far under the limit, especially people who are looking to go so fast they are worrying about the weight of a stock sway bar that is barely more than 10 pounds.

Also, maybe it's something to do with the area I live and the roads I drive on. Things are not flat and straight around here. We have lots of deer and animals and things that folks often try to avoid, even when driving 'responsibly'.

I think it's common sense.
Plenty of people do it that is why there are people that disagree with you in this thread including myself. People removing the front sway bars are not only worried about the weight over the front of the car but also the added suspension travel/weight transfer.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Last edited by BMR Sales2; 10-17-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I see Sam's point about the safety aspect of it. If i was daily driving my car still, I wouldn't even consider taking it off. I don't even own a set of street wheels anymore so now it might be fesable to remove it. What my, almost worthless, opinion on the matter is is that if your car is already so drag oriented that it permenantly has bigs and littles on it, you might as well take it off. Otherwise, leave it on. Except maybe take it off at the track. Opinions on this?
Old 10-17-2014, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the consensus is removing the sway bar can be done, and can still retain "decent" drivability, but leaving the bar in is optimal for a street driven vehicle. I simply asked earlier in the thread because I wanted to know if it truly helped in weight transfer when launching from a dead stop.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by American Psycho
So the consensus is removing the sway bar can be done, and can still retain "decent" drivability, but leaving the bar in is optimal for a street driven vehicle. I simply asked earlier in the thread because I wanted to know if it truly helped in weight transfer when launching from a dead stop.
Pretty much what I got...still wondering if somehow the front sway bar could be modified to fit with the turbo kit that requires you to remove front sway bar.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

Been a week now, barely notice its gone in the handling department. I didn't buy an f body for corners
Old 10-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
So to all those who have wondered what it's like, I'd say try it out by removing your end links and securing the bar to something to avoid contact with other suspension components. Take a drive and test the turns safely. If you feel comfortable, take it out. Evaluate for yourself, don't believe the hype.
I think this is your best way to go about it.

The responses you are getting are people coming from both perspectives. Everyone has different preferences on how their car should handle. A lot of this also differs since people run different set ups, have different types of roads they drive on, and different goals. It all comes down to how comfortable you are driving your car w/ no front sway bar. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YMMV
I think this is your best way to go about it.

The responses you are getting are people coming from both perspectives. Everyone has different preferences on how their car should handle. A lot of this also differs since people run different set ups, have different types of roads they drive on, and different goals. It all comes down to how comfortable you are driving your car w/ no front sway bar. Different strokes for different folks.
You got it.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I removed it, installed the skinnies as previously described, and on a 275/40/17 et street from a 10/20mph punch it will pull the driver tire at least 6/8 inches on the street on unprepped concrete any time I want. Thats ******* hooking. That's why we "un-engineer" our cars.....to make them work better!
Old 10-20-2014, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I wanted to weigh in here because I recently took off my front sway bar. Based on a response you gave to another "front sway bar" thread, I was initially afraid to take a turn faster than 5MPH with a 275 tire up front without the bar. But I wanted the weight savings, so I went out on a limb. I even kept the bar "for long trips".

Once I realized that you used sensational words like "insane", "fiery death" and "hysterical" to get your OPINION across, I found it to be a very comfortable ride. Over time I kept pushing the limit, just to see what I was working with. I now take the roundabout in my neighborhood at 20MPH in my 2012 Mazda 3 hatchback and in my 2002 Z28 that just recently got 7" wide wheels up front. Both are comfortable to me.

So to all those who have wondered what it's like, I'd say try it out by removing your end links and securing the bar to something to avoid contact with other suspension components. Take a drive and test the turns safely. If you feel comfortable, take it out. Evaluate for yourself, don't believe the hype.
LMFAO...
If your 20mph subdivision roundabout is your measuring stick for handling performance then by all means, you are ok with no front swaybar, a dump truck could be doing the same thing... Fortunately for everyone else in the real world we drive our cars over 20mph, and not like grandma's.
Good luck with evasive maneuvers though...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...longer-us.html
Old 10-20-2014, 12:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I removed it, installed the skinnies as previously described, and on a 275/40/17 et street from a 10/20mph punch it will pull the driver tire at least 6/8 inches on the street on unprepped concrete any time I want. Thats ******* hooking. That's why we "un-engineer" our cars.....to make them work better!
Now, now... you mean to "make them hook better". See the notion that what you do is the answer is the answer for all, just isn't accurate. Great I'm glad it's the right thing for you and how you use *your* car. Meanwhile some folks aren't running skinnies but are running bigger wheels with sticky tires, etc.

Some are running more stock cars, and that's fine too. As with most things the answer is kind of "horses for courses". The thing is people don't like to think and want to be handed an answer, any answer. Some cater that to, I don't. I will ask questions trying to get to the crux of what they want the car to do.

I tell you want, let's compromise, ok? If you want the car to be a drag setup, and just drive "responsibly", take the front bar off. If you want it to handle like stock, leave it alone. If you want it to handle better, then you should consider bar upgrades. Is that acceptable to you?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-20-2014, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well of course. And, I recently went to the strip for the first time with this setup and was impressed by the control at speed ~120ish~ and the braking at the end of the track. I do not advise a panic maneuver, obviously. However, I'm of the reasonable judgement that if most drivers are truly involved in a full fledged panic maneuver they are gonna crash or go off the road regardless of front sway bar or not.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sladester2
Does removing one end link basically give the weight transfer benefits of removing the sway bar? Or do I need to remove both? If possible Id rather just take off one of course

I will let you know after this coming Friday as I am taking mine off. I have before time slips and will post after time slip sometimes after the 24th .
Old 10-20-2014, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^my car didnt really go any faster with it off (because I was hooking before). I think the main advantage is consistancy plus the ability to hook better if you weren't/couldn't before.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:07 PM

^^^my car didnt really go any faster with it off (because I was hooking before). I think the main advantage is consistancy plus the ability to hook better if you weren't/couldn't before.

I called BMR and Kyle told me to look for a .10 which would make me really happy !
Old 10-20-2014, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

From dead hooking to dead hooking. A tenth?? Not just no but.....you know the rest.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLK LS1
I called BMR and Kyle told me to look for a .10 which would make me really happy !
It was good talking with you today! You will definitely see an improvement at the track by taking the front sway bar off. Taking the weight off the front of the car and allowing the front suspension to travel will improve your 60ft times and lead to better ETs. Definitely update this thread after you get the car back to the track.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

I can tell you I was running 8.6 at 82-83 mph before unhooking the sway bar. I only did that and changed the air filter from a crappy one to a new fram paper filter lol. Ran 8.3 at 85 mph now. Headers, duals, lid only car
Old 10-21-2014, 01:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ironically, I got this from a customer today. It's relevant. He's not an autocrosser or a Road racer... or a drag racer either.

"Well i know why the front end felt weird. The two clamps the front sway bar U clamps bolt to are broken. Drivers side completely and the passengers side partially."

In short his front bar wasn't working up to scratch and he noticed it. So what can I tell you?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Well of course. And, I recently went to the strip for the first time with this setup and was impressed by the control at speed ~120ish~ and the braking at the end of the track. I do not advise a panic maneuver, obviously. However, I'm of the reasonable judgement that if most drivers (that ONLY drag race or have NEVER pushed their car to ANY limit) are truly involved in a full fledged panic maneuver they are gonna crash or go off the road regardless of front sway bar or not.
Added bold for accuracy.

*not directed to 01ssreda4*
I would not expect someone that drag races a Fbody to know jack **** about making the car turn. I see your "I want weight savings and I want to remove my front bar" and raise you my 35mm SOLID and 22mm SOLID rear bars ....well and my Watts link, but that should help the rear end squat with the added weight right?

Simple question is what do you want the car to do? Like Sam mentioned, he will ask questions to narrow down what the customer wants. He did it to me on the phone and while I got slightly irritated with how he came off so abruptly, there is a point to it and I respect the no BS real life answers of what "works" and what doesn't. My definition of "works" is not sitting in a car for (if you are lucky) 10seconds and only going straight.

He will view this 180* from how BMR may look at it considering the sig pic BMR has...a Fbody lifting the front wheels AT THE DRAG STRIP.

Unless you are an all out drag car in which every pound matters, leave the bar on. If not, does removing the bar out-weight the ill handling characteristics of the car on the street and the potential accidents that can cause?

I'm not a Strano nutswinger, I ask opinions of people that have been there done that and also do my own research. I weigh my options considering what my goals are for the car and myself then make a purchase. Just take internet forum opinions with a grain of salt...you never really know who the opinions are coming from. Proof is in the pudding.

Last edited by smitty2919; 10-21-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply: front sway bar